1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

K&K Bassmax, Bassmaster Pro

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by hoedown_j, Mar 26, 2005.

1. hoedown_j

hoedown_j

Mar 3, 2005
    I hate to start a new thread about these pickups, but I searched and couldn't find exactly what I wanted to know. I was looking at the Bassmax, but read it's not so great for arco, and decided there's no reason to cheap out on the pickup because money isn't a huge issue, so I was considering getting the Bassmaster pro. One thing that looked good about the Bassmax was that it seems as if it would be easy to switch between basses. Is this a good idea, say if I went to school to use it there and then take it off and put it back on my bass for use at home? If that is an "ok" thing to do, is it possible to seperate the Bassmax piece of the Bassmaster pro to do this with?

FYI I don't yet have a bass but am getting one soon, and plan on doing both pizz in jazz and arco for other music. Thanks.

2. Jazzman

Jazzman

Nov 26, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    The bass max is great for arco. They say the double big twin isn't good for arco, but that is debatable.

As for changing between basses, that isn't the best idea because each bass will interact differently with the same pickup. If the bass at your school needs an amp/pickup, the school should have one there for it. If you want to have something to swap between basses, the AMT mic would work much better IMO.

As for separating the pickups with the BMP for removal, that won't work. They are soldered to the same jack. You could just buy the bass max, double big twin, and two channel K&K preamp...connect it all with a dual mono to TRS cable, and you will have the BMP with an option to remove the bass max pickup.

3. redfenderj

redfenderj

Aug 12, 2004
    I have a double big twin with a golden trinity mic
    If you're picky, then the double big twin isn't that great for arco. Better than a BP-100 but If you want good arco tone, then don't get a peizo. I must say that I LOVE the golden trinity. It's my Kay only louder. The only time I use the DBT is when its too loud of a gig for the mic. If it isn't loud I have the pickup off and the mic wide open.