Dismiss Notice

Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, get alerts, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Kala UBass Megathread, Part 6

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by smperry, Mar 6, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. smperry

smperry Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Martin Keith Guitars
  2. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    Sweet. Part 6. We rock.

:cool:
    :D
    :bassist:
    :bassist::bassist:
    :bassist::bassist::bassist:
    :bassist::bassist::bassist::bassist:
    :bassist::bassist::bassist::bassist::bassist:

3. Register_To_Disable

4. rulyongo

rulyongo

May 5, 2011
    Carolina, PR
    In and subscribed...

5. Most of you probably know this, but there is a dedicated website with discussion topics and the like for all things Kala Ubass, Sub Bass, and the California line:

http://deantomasula.com/ubassforum/index.php

Not sure who owns or runs it, but I don't think it is ran by Kala itself. Not that I am trying to run off anyone here, (I enjoy reading this mega thread myself) but it is good to have another source. There is also a UBass appreciation society:

http://ubassappreciation.wordpress.com/

Enjoy!

6. Not tons of activity, but worth checking out.

I was all set to pull the trigger on one of these until I read about the Rumbler.

7. kerim

kerim

Mar 7, 2013
    Hello,

just got my Kala U-Bass. I was pretty exited about it and it sounded just great. When I wanted to buy an amp for it I noticed that the E String has significantly les punch than the other strings. It is almost kind of quiet compared to the A, D and G strings. Is this normal? Is something wrong with the string? Or could it be a faulty piezo pick up?

Thank you very much for your help!

Kerim

8. scotch

scotch It's not rocket science! Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2006
    Albany, NY USA
    Please see Profile for Endorsement disclosures
    There's a lot about that issue on the last few pages of the previous thread (linked above).

9. rulyongo

rulyongo

May 5, 2011
    Carolina, PR
    I was just about to write that same thing...:) Anyway, acoustically in mine, there is definitely a difference in volume between the E and the other strings, but plugged into an amp I don't hear a big difference...

10. kerim

kerim

Mar 7, 2013
    Read 20 pages but no result. Some were in the net I found this:

TROUBLESHOOTING
    If one or more strings are lower in volume:
    • Check for proper pickup alignment.
    • Check that the saddle is completely level. Place
    the saddle on a straight surface and hold it
    against a light source. Rework if necessary.
    • Place small pieces of paper in the saddle slot
    under the pickup at the quieter string.

I will try it now and report back when I am done

11. kerim

kerim

Mar 7, 2013
    No difference. I think I am gonna send it back. The E-String sounds just weak when amplified. I think it is a pick up issue. Apparently several FS have the same problem. I think that is very strange. It is not exactly a cheap instrument is it?

12. speedster

speedster

Aug 19, 2005
    Ontario Canada
    I've been using the LR Baggs para acoustic pre amp for several years with my uprights, messed around with it on the UBass but couldn't find a sweet spot for it, plugged direct to the GKMB150 and used the onboard eq and contour and I've got a good acoustic big sound that pretty much mirrors the uprights plugged in.

Now you've got me thinking Scotch, I might go looking for my old fishman B pre amp as that might be worth throwing into the line and seeing what happens...

I'm still trying to get used to playing the Ubass, once I'm real comfortable with the neck and note positions I'll work more with the LR Baggs in the link to see if it is just a dial in thing...

Still luv'in the little bugger !

13. speedster

speedster

Aug 19, 2005
    Ontario Canada
    guess I should have mentioned a couple of the features I like about the LR Baggs, it has pretty decent eq capabilities and a phase shift switch along with easy to use frequency cutting capabililties which come in real handy on some stages as I use the GK MB150 as my monitor on stage so I can dial in what I need to cut through the mix.

I line out the back (post amp eq) and send that signal straight to the board, usually the sound engineer can pretty much leave his settings flat with some slight tweaking for the room as I've already covered he stage issues.......

14. speedster

speedster

Aug 19, 2005
    Ontario Canada
    I don't think the ubass's are expensive, at least not when compared to the price of uprights.... such as in the upright bass for sale area

This instrument is a late 1800's 7/8th size string bass in very good condition. Origin of bass has been attributed to an unknown maker in Germany. Asking $14,000. Shipping is an option. Please call/text for more info or to view: 646-544-6093

Measurements:
    Upper bout 20 3/4"
    Lower bout 25 5/8"
    C bout 15"
    Rib depth 8"
    String length 42"
    Neck heel Eb

15. kerim

kerim

Mar 7, 2013
  16. Kerim, do you have a truss rod in your u-bass? Mine was loose on my mahogany fretless, so I tightened it a bit to put some tension on it, and it seemed to help give a bit of punch to my E string as well as a bit more sustain on the bass overall. Just thought that maybe it would be something to check out before you ship it back. Others have mentioned to check that the string was seated properly through the body as well.

17. gangonthehill

gangonthehill

Dec 10, 2012
    Ohio
    I have a mahogany acoustic and now I want a solid body with an adjustable bridge and flat wounds in the same short scale. I may have to settle for a set of pyramid strings on one of the existing solid body designs but I would love to be able to adjust the intonation. I don`t expect to see this come about any time soon but If someone has this kind of set up, the solid body with pyramid strings I would love to hear a review on how you like it. I hate to buy one and the strings and it not be what I want. A sound clip would be greatly appreciated. I would be interested in trading my acoustic for a set up like this or just buying one.

18. davewave

davewave Old and in the way...

Jun 23, 2012
    Lincoln, NE

jburtonca posted this back in October:

[​IMG]

19. Timmy-Watts

Timmy-Watts Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2010
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Speedster,
    I have tried so many different preamps. That Baggs piece you have was one of my favorites do features and tone. Once I dialed in the best tone I could, I found I had most of the knobs turned very far, and that made me uncomfortable. That, and when I would get aggressive it would clip a little with the gain all the way down. But for normal playing dialed in it was one of the best. Tight, thick, and clear. I would definitely work with it some more before giving up on it. The feature set is perfect, even though on paper the EQ frequencies were not ideal for bass IMO.

20. kerim

kerim

Mar 7, 2013
    Nope, not truss rod. After talking to the supplier I decided to fix it because these little fellows are really hard to get at the moment...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.