Kala UBass Megathread, Part 7

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by olitoon, Dec 27, 2013.

1. MuthaFunk

MuthaFunk Supporting Member

May 8, 2007
    GTA Ontario Canada
    Thanks for the warning but I don’t mind sticky strings. The Paoehoes are sticky too. I mainly use this bass in a very humid environment. It’s my boat bass! 6D8F31CF-255A-4343-AB93-57B41E9E3B0F.jpeg

Bass Boy, Jhalb and kohanmike like this.
  2. jburtonca

jburtonca

Nov 25, 2000
    Ottawa, Canada
    Is there a part 8? If so where is it?

3. HaphAsSard

HaphAsSard

Dec 1, 2013
    Italia
    Nope. Remember the 1000-post limit? When that was removed, this one was the active thread and it was allowed to grow, without the need for a newer one.

4. djasterix

djasterix

Jan 1, 2012
    Lima, Peru
    Here my amazing Rumbler before some TLC from the local luthier...

IMG_20210923_173838.jpg

MasterMonkeyMan likes this.
  5. Giffro

Giffro Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2017
    South Australia
    My Nomad fitted with Lutehole cover to help eliminate amp feedback.

KALA UBASS LUTEHOLE COVER 1.JPG
    KALA UBASS LUTEHOLE COVER 2.JPG

Fretless55 and djasterix like this.
  6. pecBass

pecBass

Jan 22, 2013
    DFW
    Hi all, my ubass A string tuner broke. It seems like the stock tuners are a bit cheap. Any recommendation for replacements? Also i have been using the stock strings, but now seems the time to experiment. I like the uprightish thump and want to continue get that sound.

Thanks

7. KohanMike

KohanMike Gold Supporting Member

I've been replacing many of my bass uke tuning machines with Gotoh that have a wider spool than normal bass tuning machines. I also got tired of the poly strings that get sticky in humid conditions and stretch so much that they need trimming too often, so I replaced them with Kala/Galli flatwound nylon core that to me still have a pretty good thump. They come in 20.5" and 23" scale, I use them on all my bass ukes and even on my mini bass magnetic pickup (I pay no attention to the Kala warnings).

https://www.amazon.com/Gotoh-Compac...PQ1P4AH0DT0&psc=1&refRID=3VZESAY7FPQ1P4AH0DT0

https://kalabrand.com/products/ka-bass-4fw

LowWay likes this.
  8. UbassDanno

UbassDanno

Nov 9, 2018
    Sun City, AZ
    I have a set of take-offs from my old Kala, I just wanted to have Hipshots. I'll ship to you for $40.00.

Attached Files:

9. pecBass

pecBass

Jan 22, 2013
    DFW
    Thanks, i think i will just replace the one tuner

10. bherman

bherman Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2009
    Grand Junction, CO
    Hi all - running into a problem with my no-name fretless, wondering if anyone has ideas. String height at the bridge seems to be too low, I am getting too much buzzing (LaBella flatwounds). @KohanMike have you run across a way to raise the action while doing your bridge fix?

11. KohanMike

If the bass uke has a truss rod, that is a way of changing string height. A shim can be added under the saddle assembly and or the nut, or the nut could be replaced with a shallower cut out for the strings.

12. bherman

Apr 30, 2009
    Grand Junction, CO
    Thx - no truss rod unfortunately, the nut is fine its the string height at the saddle. I'll try a shim with your suggested reseating of the individual saddles.

KohanMike likes this.
  13. KohanMike

Put the shim in the bridge slot before you put in the saddle assembly.

14. bherman

Apr 30, 2009
    Grand Junction, CO
    Thx - not sure what I’m going to use for a shim, will poke around my shop.

15. UbassDanno

UbassDanno

Nov 9, 2018
    Sun City, AZ
    Piece of an old credit card maybe? Just noticed you're from GJ, I lived in Glenwood for a couple years, hung around GJ once in a while, nice place. Was just there (Palisade) back in August for peaches and wine...:)

KohanMike likes this.
  16. KohanMike

That's exactly what I was going to suggest.

17. fourstringbliss

fourstringbliss Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
  18. fourstringbliss

fourstringbliss Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    I'm new to these basses and have a Scout coming to me tomorrow.

kal-ubassscoutfs_front.jpg

Definitely lower priced import, but I hope it's good quality.

Do you folks install a strap button on or at the heel so you're not having to attach the strap to the headstock? If so, how do you attach the strap button? I've seen some videos for adding strap buttons to ukes, but not for bass ukes.

Thanks!

UbassDanno likes this.
  19. bherman

Apr 30, 2009
    Grand Junction, CO
    Yeah we love going to Palisade! thanks to you and @KohanMike for the suggestions, I'll try a strip of credit card.

20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Oct 17, 2021