1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
  2. Welcome Back!  Please see this thread for more info about the site outage.  Thank you for your patience as we work out bugs and tweak server configs.

Kalium strings and great CS

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by ampeg82, Jun 30, 2018.

1. ampeg82

ampeg82

Jun 21, 2018
    Beaumont, Tx
    Hey everyone just wanted to drop a line on here since there’s been some threads on poor service with Kalium strings. I can’t speak for the past but these guys have went above and beyond to help me on questions about string sets recently, I did have one pop on install and the issue was quickly resolved by skip. They seem to have any kinks worked out and the strings play and sound great on my ric. I went with the BH-106BS set.

woodyng2 likes this.
  2. ZachM

ZachM

Nov 19, 2010
    Nashville, TN
    I think things are much better there now.

In the past I've had orders take several days to process and over three weeks to arrive, but the last couple times I've ordered have been very prompt and the strings arrived much faster, within the week. They might've been short staffed, or having issues with supply chain, who knows. There's a lot that can go wrong in any business and the smaller operations don't have that much manpower oftentimes.

The strings are worth waiting for though, I'm always pleased with the tone and feel. They seem to last a relatively long time as well, and I dig balanced tension so Kaliums are my string of choice.

woodyng2 and ampeg82 like this.
  3. When I saw the thread title, my initial reaction was, "Oh no, not another thread about how bad the Kalium CS is!"

You might want to modify it to something like, "Kalium Strings and their much-improved CS". Just sayin'... ;)

slappa da beeus and ampeg82 like this.
  4. ampeg82

ampeg82

Jun 21, 2018
    Beaumont, Tx
    Good Idea!

michael_t likes this.
  5. I wish I was in the same boat. I've had some horror stories with them in the past and moved on to different brands. They were recently running a sale so I figured i'd give'em a shot again hoping they'd improved. We're at 1 week since my order now and they haven't even been shipped.

6. ezstep

ezstep

Nov 25, 2004
    north Louisiana
    Just received my order and placed the new strings on two basses (one was a replacement, so I want Kaliums on both basses). Very happy with the result. No horror story here. Just a happy camper.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2018
  7. Ha. I just tried again. Placed an order last Thursday, and waited for over a week while the order just said "processing." Sent a couple emails...no response. Finally called, but it sounded like they knew nothinv about my order even though I was charged. Told them to ship or refund. Took a couple days but just got my refund.

I'm done.

Obese Chess likes this.
  8. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    I tried a first order 18 days ago. No shipment. No responses to emails.

Beyond disappointing.

Obese Chess likes this.
  9. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    The story ends with me posting on their Facebook page - which, unlike their email accounts, they actually monitor. I got a refund. No mas.

Obese Chess likes this.
  10. KB5

KB5

Sep 28, 2012
    Weird. I have been using their Hybrids for two years. Never had an issue with their service.

11. kbr

kbr

Feb 27, 2006
    Oviedo, Fl
    I'm about three weeks in to waiting for my Kalium strings order. I've contacted them three times asking about it via various means. I've got multiple email address for them. The last time I blasted all of them just in case. I've never gotten a response. I don't have a Facebook. They haven't even printed a label.

Not sure what to say. The Christmas season is coming up and it's my busiest season for bass playing. I'll have to buy something else, set and get my bass set up for different strings before the gigs pick up again. I had figured a month early would be plenty of time. I was wrong.

12. groovaholic

groovaholic The louder the better. Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2004
    Mount Prospect, IL
    I placed my order on October 25th.
    After 3 weeks, I sent Kalium a note.

I didn't get a direct reply, but what I did get was a shipping notification from "Stamps.com".
    When I checked status, it said:"November 15, 2018 at 11:09 pm Shipping Label Created, USPS Awaiting Item"

There have been no updates to that status in the 5 days since...

I'm trying to give Kalium the benefit of the doubt -- wildfires in California, week before Thanksgiving, etc.
    But my experiences is aligning with that of too many other people: great strings, but REALLY unreliable service.

SBassman likes this.
  13. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    They tried pulling that with me, too. Sending a Stamps notice in response to one of my emails.

I don't know what the deal is with them. Don't understand how a company puts energy and tooling into setting up, only to have a broken process for actual fulfillment.

The only way you guys are going to get anywhere is to get on Facebook and message them there. Somehow, they are occasionally very responsive via Facebook, but far less so through the email addresses they set up.

I just don't have time for that. I bailed out, and I won't be trying again unless I see dozens of TBers here down the road saying the process is fixed.

14. ixlramp

ixlramp

Jan 25, 2005
    UK
    I mentioned these complaints to Skip on FB, i seem to remember he's banned from TalkBass so probably can't post here, he asked me to convey a message:
    "perhaps you can apologize on my behalf. I broke my site and have been playing catchup for two weeks as a result. All should be attended to within days."
    Please note i convey this completely neutrally.

15. tom-g

tom-g

Oct 2, 2007
    Yeah right, the dog ate my homework.

16. groovaholic

Sep 19, 2004
    Mount Prospect, IL
    It's up to Kalium and PayPal at this point; it's been a month and I've requested a refund.

17. groovaholic

Sep 19, 2004
    Mount Prospect, IL
    Got my refund.
    I’d have preferred to get the strings, but I can walk away now...

18. Done that same dance maybe a half dozen times now. I'm done for good.

19. groovaholic

Sep 19, 2004
    Mount Prospect, IL
    It’s a disappointment because I play a Dingwall bass and there just aren’t that many people who make suitable strings for it.

Systolic likes this.
  20. iiipopes

iiipopes Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Ordered and paid for a stock 4-string set: the Hybrid balanced 110's. Ordered Nov 23. Not relying on Stamps. Plugged the tracking number into USPS directly. Still listed as pre-shipment. Fortunately, I don't need them immediately, because the bass on which I will put them on is for one of my groups that does not have gigs until 2019. But then I will be leaning on them if I don't have them at that point.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 15, 2021