1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Kappalite 3015 in a GK MB115 combo.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Bassometer, Jun 4, 2014.

1. I have a Gallien Krueger MB-115 combo (first gen). It’s a good combo, sounds good, reliable etc. but I need to upgrade. Unfortunately I am cash strapped for the next little while.

On Kijjiji there is a guy selling an Eminence Kappalite 3015, 15” NEO driver for $180. I am assuming that the 15” driver in my GK MB-115 is also 8 ohms. I have also read that the 3015 does pretty good in small cabs. Here are my questions:

· Will his driver fit in my GK MB-115 combo? (will the grill need to be spaced out, do the screw holes match etc, is it deeper than the existing driver)?

· Is it more efficient than my current GK 15” driver (I’d like to get 3 or 4 db more out this combo, that would be perfect). Am I better off to find a 4 ohm 15” driver?

· Which is the better bass driver, the 3015 or the 3015LF?
    Should I just sell the GK, and finance a more capable rig?

Thanks

2. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    the 3015LF is not a full range speaker, and is a bad choice for that.
    the 3015 may work ok.

DanGR likes this.
  3. iualum

iualum

Apr 9, 2004
    Yes, from all I've read the 3015 would almost certainly work, although I've never placed one in a different cab/combo. Just be sure it's the 3015 & not the 3015LF.

4. That stock speaker could very well be 4 ohms... I hesitate to suggest it most likely IS. So even if the 3015 is 2-3 DB more sensitive, that would be a lateral move at best.

I would think if the combo isn't giving you enough, you are likely better served adding an MBP powered extension of moving to something bigger altogether.

5. The driver in the MB115 has a 4 ohm impedance. Running an 8 ohm driver will drop the maximum output to around 130w (similar to an MB200 head). That may seem like a lot, but sound-wise its less than 3 db. In terms of getting more spl though, you don't really want to throw away 2-3 db. With respect to a driver upgrade, you can potentially gain another 4-6 db by choosing a more sensitive driver (97-99db/w/m). The 2 cf enclosure is pretty limiting. Few 15 inch drivers work well in such a small box. Most produce a peaked mid-upper bass with limited bass depth. Early 3015's worked better in small boxes than more recent ones, but even then it was far from optimum. Many 12 inch drivers work well in 2 cf. The choice depends a lot on what you are trying to accomplish: higher spl's, or a different tone (deeper bass, more aggressive mids, etc.). Many '8 ohm' drivers are actually more liker 6 ohm drivers - look for a dc resistance close to 5 ohms. You will have to run simulations on a cab design program. Also consider that the stock 15 and horn are relatively well balanced. The horn will not 'keep up' with a more efficient bass driver, though treble boost may largely fix that. All things considered, you may be better off just getting a new rig that meets your needs. Use the MB115 for practice or sell it to help fund the new rig.

Edit: Many players gig with 200w. If you buy two efficient, 8 ohm drivers, you can install one in the MB115 and the other in a second cab for a total 4 ohm load. You would then be playing a 2x12 or 2x15 with 200w. Foe smaller gigs, just use the modified MB115. If you DIY the second cab this could be pretty inexpensive. The Dayton PA380-8 (15 inch) will passably work in the MB115 (it's notably more efficient than the stock driver and has a deeper and meatier bass in that cab). Make the 2nd cab 3 cf, tuned to 42 Hz. Try with the stock horn - it may be all you need. The Faital 15PR400 will also work, but at somewhat higher cost.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2014
  6. Thank you Talk Bass for this excellent information and sound advice. I especially like the idea of running two drivers by adding an ext. cab, two 12's would probably be worth looking into. I'll post a thread with pics if I decide to pursue this. Thanks!