Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Karl Denson

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by eric atkinson, May 13, 2005.

1. eric atkinson

eric atkinson "Is our children learning "Is our teachers teachin

Feb 4, 2001
    Joplin,Missouri
    Hey i was driving this morning to work and heard a tune by Karl Denson... Now i know he is related to a few other bands, but was wanting to pick up after i get off of work today any rec?

2. Jmann

Jmann

Apr 29, 2003
    Lexington, Ky
    you cant go wrong with anything by Karl Denson's Tiny Universe... I was listening to "the Bridge" on the way back from seeing trey in Colombus yesterday... awesome stuff

3. The Bridge is awesome. Between Ron Johnson and Chris Wood, the basslines really groove. Dance Lesson #2 has a few really good cuts on it. Karl and the band are on tour right now! They are actually going to be in town tomorrow, and I am trying to find someone who wants to go with me. Not a lot of people around here have heard of Karl Denson.

Get "The Bridge". You won't be disappointed.

4. SteveC

SteveC Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    Thye play Karl on XM72 quite a bit. I've liked everything I've heard.

5. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    IMHO, his best stuff was/is with the Greyboy Allstars. If you can get your hands on some of that, do so.

I like Karl when he isn't singing, frankly. His vocal tunes tend to be a bit too cheesey for me, even with GBAS. A little bit of his vocalizing goes a long way. When he sticks to the horn, he's solid as hell.

I highly recommend A Town Called Earth by GBAS. That is a truly SICK studio CD that is, in my opinion, actually better than their Live CD (a rarety in the jazz/jam realm).

6. I agree with that. The Bridge has a couple of vocal tracks that are great though! "Because of Her Beauty" and "Groove On" are terrific. It helps that Chris Wood is playing on them. I love "Flute Down" on Dance Lesson #2. Great tune!

7. KD rules! the Brotherhood of Groove got to open for them in Miami and they were the coolest cats. their show was ridiculous! 2 1/2 hours in one set with never more than a few seconds between songs. wicked groove, serious chops, and nothing but soul!

when they came to New Orleans and played the House of Blues they put us all on the guest list. great time!

from the lows,

Stew

8. rontalsaurus

rontalsaurus

Aug 19, 2002
    KDTU is a great band. I personally prefer The Bridge over Dance Lesson #2 as that's more of what the band is like in concert. I've seen them a bunch now and they're always phenomenally tight. Their drummer is one of the tightest, funkiest drummers I've ever heard.

9. really nice cat, too. someday I want to jam with him!