Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Kent?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by cherrybomb05, Feb 16, 2005.

1. cherrybomb05

cherrybomb05

Feb 14, 2005
    Hello. I'm new to the forums.. My name is Kim, I'm 18, and live in SC. I don't know much at all about guitars.. However, my boyfriend has been playing for the past 5 years. He switched over to bass about 2 years ago I think.. and played with a local band. He really started to like bass and finally acquired his own guitar. Unfortunately it got stolen. He's been really anxious to be able to play again.. He even borrowed his friends' guitars for a while. So, for our one month anniversary, I wanted to really surprise him. He guessed everything BUT a guitar. I looked in the local paper and found a 'Vintage bass guitar'. The company that makes it is called Kent. My question for you guys is.. have you ever heard of this company? Do you know anything about them.. If it's worth the money.. How the quality is.. etc. I've never heard of them and neither has he. My cousin has been playing for about 12 years and has heard of them, but never played one. I got it for $125. It's got a few scratches but nothing major.. It's actually a very nice looking guitar. It's in a tobacco sunburst color. He really seemed to like it, but I just wanted to find out more about the brand. So if anyone knows anything, I'd really appreciate it! Thanks! :)

2. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    I know nothing about the brand Kent. Did you search around the internet?

-Mike

3. Kid Charlemagne

Kid Charlemagne

May 29, 2002
    Europe
    Kent = Hagstrom, IIRC

4. pointbass

pointbass Semi-Retired Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Endorsing Artist: FBB Bass Works
  5. petch

petch Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2001
    Medina, Ohio
    I started on a Kent bass loaned to me back in 1974. :eek: It was solidbody, sunburst, rosewood board. It was decidedly a beginner's instrument, with high action and pedestrian tone. I have no pics, unfortunately. I do have fond memories of that bass because it launched me into the world of bass! If he likes it and makes music on it then be happy. :) From time to time you will see Kents for sale on ebay.

6. cherrybomb05

cherrybomb05

Feb 14, 2005
    Thanks guys. I appreciate it!

7. corinpills

corinpills

Nov 19, 2000
    Boston, MA
    I've played a couple of Kents and I think it will be fine for a nice present. I'm sure taht he will appreciate it (all girlfiends who buy basses are #1 in my book). Old cheapo basses have indie credibilty.