Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Mr.QuakQuak, Jun 21, 2004.

1. Well my good 'ol friends need a keyboard player and asked me because I always recommend good lines to fit in. It is a metal band and I'm looking for keyboards under $500. I have been thinking about taking up a second instrument and have debated over a keyboard and synthesizers for several months so this may be it. Any recommendations.
  2. Used Roland XP-30.

Excellent soundset, very portable, great feeling keys, and no sampling - sequencing baggage that you probably won't want or need anyway.

3. Thank you :)

At least one person replied :(
  4. you a keyboard player :confused:

whatever you end up getting i hope it serves you well; have fun with it!
  5. Not a fan of the Roland stuff myself, but bimp is correct about the XP-30. If you can find a way to add about a Benjamin to your budget you can probably even get one new, or a new Alesis QS6.2, Korg X5D, or (and this is the one I'd go with for the sounds alone) Kurzweil KME61.

6. lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
  7. If you like Hammond sounds, I'd avoid the Kurzweil KME61... the other sounds are great, but the Hammond in the KME61 is sorely disappointing.

The Alesis QS6.1 / 6.2 has rip roaring Hammond sounds.
  8. Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    Who has the best old-school Hammond and Rhodes kind of sounds?

Well okay, obviuosly old Hammonds and Rhodes, but I meant in a single unit and hopefully for a decent price.
  9. keb

Mar 30, 2004
    I was thinking of getting an Alesis myself for my keyboard needs. A QS can be had new for $599 or so.

Without a shadow of a doubt, the best combination of Hammond and Rhodes (along with Wurlitzer, Clavinet, and Piano) is the Nord Electro 2.

Listen to the sound clips, they speak for themselves.

:cool: :)
  11. Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    Then tell me everything you can think of about the Nord.

Please. :D

Edit: I got a chance to read up on the Nord. It sounds like a real winner. But how much are they? And who carries them? I haven't ever seen this keyboard around here. With that red paintjob I think I would have noticed. It sounds like one of those would solve a third of my keyboard-sound dilemmas.