1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Kiesel AW5 Amos Williams sig model owners?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by HeavyDuty, May 20, 2017.

1. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    I just found out that Kiesel has a single humbucker headless model in production - the AW5 Amos Williams sig. I know @MojoPenguin has a (modified?) four string version - anyone else? I've been interested in a single HB version of the Vader for months, but back then single HB was a custom option that made it nonreturnable - I felt it was too much of a risk. Now that it's in the regular catalog and is subject to their usual conditions...

I'm curious about the balance and the pickups/electronics. Is the passive mode usable? Will it run in passive if the batteries crap out?

What else can you tell me to sway my decision?

I have one sitting in my shopping cart, but I'm trying to be adult about this and do more research before pulling the trigger. I'm hoping one can be the spiritual successor to my old XM2A - I'd even consider spinning off my pair of Synapses for these.

Pyrat likes this.
  2. MojoPenguin

MojoPenguin

Jul 11, 2014
    Europe Bro'
    Actually mine is just the AW5 Amos Williams sig. in a 4 string (my preference), but yes it's a non returnable option. There's active Bass and Treble as well as a passive tone which can get a nice variety of sounds for 1 pickup. And it's Purple so it sounds great :smug:

You can hear it here"

Pyrat, DevinWard369 and HeavyDuty like this.
  3. HeavyDuty

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    What made yours nonreturnable - the color or that it was a four?

4. MojoPenguin

MojoPenguin

Jul 11, 2014
    Europe Bro'
    The 4 string version, colour is just grape jelly metallic.

HeavyDuty likes this.
  5. HeavyDuty

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Cool, I'm not thinking of any options that would make it nonreturnable.

MojoPenguin likes this.
  6. Pyrat

Pyrat

Jul 20, 2012
    Minneapolis!
    it's the 23 frets that makes it almost irresistible...

7. eastcoasteddie

eastcoasteddie

Mar 24, 2006
    NoVA
    I really like their HB pickups, as I have two basses with them (a Jazz V and one with an HH configuration)
    I wish they (Keisel/Carvin) would offer them in all their basses...an Icon with those pickups would be insane!
    But I was under the impression that they were discontinuing the HB's in favor of all their newer pickups.

8. Toptube

Toptube

Feb 9, 2009
    Amos revived Jeff's interest in the HB pickup. He really likes the tone if the new placement. And they offer HB + single coil on more models, now. Vanquish and Aries, as examples. Could probably get it on Icon, as well.

Pyrat and eastcoasteddie like this.
  9. HeavyDuty

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    I'm just sitting tight waiting to see if any sales pop up in the next few months. I saw Carvin was doing Memorial Day sales, but I didn't get any sale emails from Kiesel.

If I can knock a hundred or two off the cost, all the better.

ShenmueTacos and Pyrat like this.
  10. Toptube

Toptube

Feb 9, 2009
    Check your spam. They have a promo going.
    Free stainless frets, free drop shadow logo, free thinner neck profile option (may not apply to bass. The wording seems to imply guitar only).

Pyrat likes this.
  11. HeavyDuty

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Nothing in my spam folder - I just signed up for their emails about a week ago, so I'm probably not in their system yet. If there's a promo code, can someone PM me with it?

(Edit) I'm seeing it - some of the options are no cost (stainless frets, silver drop logo)

Last edited: May 27, 2017
  12. HeavyDuty

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Ok, done did it - ordered and deposit placed.

Custom Shop Instrument Details:
    AW5 - Kiesel Amos Williams Signature Vader Headless Electric Bass Right Handed
    GM - Gunmetal Gray Metallic
    CS - Satin Matte Finish Changed to gloss
    MA - Maple Neck/Alder Body (Standard)
    FMF - Flamed Maple Fingerboard (Tung-Oiled)
    IDIA - Diamond Inlays
    IAB - Black Acrylic Inlay Material
    STF - Stainless Med-Jumbo Frets .048" H .103" W
    R14 - 14in Fretboard Radius (Standard)
    BC - Black Hardware (Standard)
    BLK - Black Pickups
    DSLS - Drop Shadow Silver Logo
    45 - Dunlop Super Bright Medium Gauge Roundwound Nickel Plated Strings
    SC10B - Black Ultimate Soft Bass Case

If I like this, I'll probably go back to the well for a natural wood finished, ebony board fretless mate.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2017
  13. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    It sounds like a Jazz.

14. HeavyDuty

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    I just called Kiesel (with an emailed followup) to tweak my order just slightly:

1. Added the straplocks I had forgotten
    2. Changed from satin finish to standard gloss.

I was getting worried about the satin finish buffing up with use.

15. Toptube

Toptube

Feb 9, 2009
    They recently changed to a more durable satin finish.

Congrats on your order!

Pyrat likes this.
  16. HeavyDuty

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Thanks, I'm really looking forward to this! I'm hoping this will resolve my long-time Status GAS.

Oh, well - the gloss will look great I'm sure. The sales tech I spoke with before being transferred to Nobel to make the actual order change did say the matte was likely to buff up over time.

Pyrat likes this.
  17. BassDjent75

BassDjent75 Commercial User

Jun 8, 2017
    Ohio
    Longtime looky-loo, first time poster. I wanted to chime in and say, congrats on your order. As a long time GAS sufferer I know how the eternal search for the "right" bass can be. Although, I've found that the bliss of anticipating a new instrument can sometimes surpass the reality of owning said bass. That being said, I hope it's everything you wish it to be and more.

I ordered my own AW5 in March and received it just last week. Mine is actually featured in the AW5 photo gallery, and was likewise on their Facebook page. The options were as follows:

AW5
    SWAMP ASH BODY
    EBONY TOP
    CLEAR SATIN MATTE
    CHAMBERED BODY
    5 PIECE BLACK LIMBA AND WHITE MAPLE NECK
    TUNG OIL ON BACK OF NECK
    ROYAL EBONY FINGERBOARD
    STAGGERED OFFSET DOT INLAYS
    LUMINLAY INLAYS [TOP AND SIDE]
    MEDIUM JUMBO STAINLESS STEEL FRETS
    DROP SHADOW LOGO SILVER
    EBONY REAR COVER PLATE
    BLACK ULTIMATE SOFT BASS CASE

I ordered straplocks for mine, however given I had no real experience with them, I went the "tried and true" route, got in touch with CS and deleted the straplocks early in the build. I was lucky enough to see much of the progress by way of walk-throughs...ended up lucking out and catching it 3 times; and even got some serendipitous "in process" photos.

I'm slow to "warm up" to a new instrument...I have MS with a lot of muscular and nervous involvement. That, plus it is actually having to travel back to San Diego for some additional attention. Thus, I don't have much in the way of insight to offer beyond the obvious - it is an aesthetically striking instrument! I've got nothing but compliments from people who have either seen it on Facebook, on the Kiesel site, or locally. I plan on saying more, offering my own review, as well as posting photos/clips etc. That being said, I wanted to, at the very least, offer my congratulations to you in the hopes that you truly love your new instrument.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2017
    noodler, Pyrat and HeavyDuty like this.
  18. BassDjent75

BassDjent75 Commercial User

Jun 8, 2017
    Ohio
    Although I will say this in direct response to your questions...

The 18v preamp is POWERFUL. Even with my GK pad attenuation, I have to keep input gain pretty low...

The passive voice is very usable. The controls are volume, push/pull passive tone, concentric bass and treble. The levels between active and passive are surprisingly close [more so than any such bass I've played]. If I had the active/passive functionality in a mini-switch, I think that I could foresee myself using it passive just as much as I would active. That being said, there's something about using an instrument with the pot pulled up. Maybe my despising asymmetry. o_O

Marley's Ghost, Pyrat and HeavyDuty like this.
  19. 23? That's weird. I wonder why not 24, and if 23 offers any practical advantage over 22...

20. Sid the Kid

Sid the Kid Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2013
    Illinois
    The djentleman they made the bass for requested 23 frets so he would have a bit of wood to slap instead of slapping the on the 24th fret. He slaps a vast majority of the time it seems.