1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

King Mortore Restoration question.

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by mattwallace, Dec 11, 2011.

1. mattwallace

mattwallace

Nov 20, 2007
    Endorsing Artist: Genz Benz, NS Design, D'addario, Peterson Tuners
    i am restoring an old king mortone. Originally this bass has a Eb neck and longer string length. I have been unable to find a king neck to replace the "homemade" one someone put on there so I will be putting on an Englehardt neck with will be a D neck and 41 1/2 string length.......I had ask on the "wanting to buy" forum and someone said that changing the string length due to changing necks would cause a problem. I do not see how it could but wanted to ask everyone what they thought????

2. keiranohara

keiranohara Commercial User

Nov 7, 2007
    Ossining, NY
    Luthier at AES Fine Instruments
    It will cause problems, but more then likely problems you can live with. As you shorten the string length to bring the D down to the heal, all the notes below the D will drift closer toward the bridge as well. It will require more of a reach to get over the upper bout to get to the high register. But frankly, nobody gets paid to play notes up there, its the notes on that neck that are the money notes and the playability of those would more then likely improve with a shorter string length.

3. mattwallace

mattwallace

Nov 20, 2007
    Great reply. I was 99.9999% positive that this would not cause a problem however a guy on a different post INSISTED that the neck would not work...so he suggested I post the question on this segment. Thanks! And no, i dont use too many notes above the D anyways.

4. Dude, I didn't INSIST on anything. I said:

"I don't know if this is true, but have heard that older larger basses whose necks are cut down to a 41" or 42" string length end up somehow out of balance with themselves."

The thread below was the basis of my concern about the success of your project, and lookie lookie, it features two respected luthiers disagreeing about putting a shorter neck on a Mortone:

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f1/vintage-king-mortone-100244/

If you're going to slag people on this forum, at least grant us the courtesy of reading what they say while they're trying to help you.

You're welcome.

5. mattwallace

mattwallace

Nov 20, 2007
    easy there big fella

6. Full moon. Hulk smash!