1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Kitchen Crews, Represent!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by ADbassman, Aug 31, 2008.

1. I just started working for a new fancy restaurant in downtown Columbia as a line cook. This isn't my first job in the food service industry, nor is it my first with gourmet. I wanted to make a thread dedicated to those us spending long hours slaving over a hot stove in the back of some restaurant.

Represent!

2. I was once a crepe maker!!!

3. im training to be a chef, just recovering from a 12 hour shift yesturday :(

4. warwick.hoy

warwick.hoy

Aug 20, 2006
    Spokane, WA.
    Beta Tester: Source Audio.
    I make sandwiches for an unappreciative lunch crowd. Cake job.

5. JimB52

JimB52 User Supporting Member

May 24, 2007
    East Coast
    Used to be a prep cook for an ARA owned rest. in FLA. Peeling&deveining 15lbs of med. shrimp, chopping 150 lbs of onions by 10 am. Fun. My feet still hurt 30 years later because management was too cheap to provide duckboards for the prep crew..

6. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    Been in the foodservice industry to 17 years. I'm like the food beverage and services director now though so I don't cook anything anymore and I kinda miss it. My most challenging job was being the equivalent of a sous chef on an aircraft carrier pumping out 15,000 meals a day.

7. GeneralElectric

GeneralElectric

Dec 26, 2007
    NY, NY
    Former kitchen everything over here. I got scars on my hands from grease burns from the last time.

Imagine if you will that is 103 degrees outside, inside you have 3 ovens, a grill, and that hot water thing that you put sauces in so they keep warm. Now imagine that those 2 ventilation fans are broken and you have close to 400 dinners in 3 hours with a 5 man crew.

That was senior year of highschool for me and I sweated out 15 pounds. :)

8. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    In ship's engineering spaces it's 103 degrees inside. It drops to about 100 near the vents.

9. fenderhutz

fenderhutz Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2007
    Harpers Ferry WV
    I am a home gourmet but my guitar player is a sous chef/office manager at a 4 or 5 star German restaurant in WV so I get the down low on all things culinary.

I wouldn't want his job, he works 60+ hour weeks so we don't get to play a whole lot.

10. GeneralElectric

GeneralElectric

Dec 26, 2007
    NY, NY
    I'm talking it being 103 degrees outside and there is no ventilation. I remember the kitchen thermometer maxing out at 140 and we didn't see it budge all summer since management was too cheap to replace the fans.:meh:

11. vbsurfer3001

vbsurfer3001

Jul 25, 2005
    VB,VA
    Just managed to get out back in February after 17 years in Foodservice....don't miss it a bit

Good Luck to those still in the trenches!

12. Scarlet Fire

Scarlet Fire

Mar 31, 2007
    New England
    The most complicated thing I've ever cooked was scrambled eggs.

They were damn good eggs, though...

13. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    It's very challenging on most days. The work is easy it's the customer relations that stresses me out.