Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Knee frequncey?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by RicPlaya, May 13, 2004.

1. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    What is it? I am installing my new EMG BQC pre amp with mid sweep in my used Spector I just got. Also replacing the PUPs to EMG P/J set up. But in the instructions there is a little swith on the pre amp where you can set up the Knee frequncy range. What is it and on this pre amp and PUP configuation which settings would sound the best? Thanks in advance!!

2. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    For What It's Worth:

Knew to me but maybe an acronym for God knows what. Think EMGinc.com has a search - punch it in and see what you get. At any rate, I know the BTC's have a pair of dip switches for frequency adjustment with recommendations provided by EMG but you adjust them to suit your taste regardless. I think the BQC has something similar but I get the impression for some reason there may only be a single dip. Also, the BQC system (not control) comes with a PCB on the blend pot it may be something to do with that. Apparently with the system (not control) - you have to use EMG pups.

3. The standard definition of "knee" in this context is the point at which the output starts to drop off. Think of it like you've got the treble turned all the way down, and you're selecting the frequency where that output slope starts. It's also called the corner frequency. In the picture below, you'd be moving the knee to the left or right with that switch setting.

[​IMG]

Chris

4. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    Cool! I thought someone may have the answer. Posting some kind of a reply makes fur a handy little bobber in duh pond.

5. RevGroove

RevGroove Commercial User

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Manager, Account Services: Long & McQuade Ltd. (Burlington); MTD Kingston Basses International Emerging Artist; Bartolini Electronics Emerging Artist
    Hey Ric, I'm putting one in my NS2000/5 soon, let me know how your mod works out!

6. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    Thanks everyone! I guess the next question I have is how does the setting affect the sound. What difference in sound would setting it at 2.5 compared to 8.0, how would the difference sound to the human ear? I know as far a frequency goes around 2k is where you get a good string sound and bite from a bass so that makes sense to me.

Yes RevGroove I can't wait to get this new pre amp in there. Are you still running the stock Spector Pre? I know you did the 18v conversion and PUP upgrade. To my ear the only thing the stock preamp lacks is that low mid ( especially the E on my 5 string), I hope this solves that. I am doing this on a used passive Neptune (Kramer) 80's Spector I got for cheap but the action is beautiful. If it sounds good I will do the same to my Rebop 5er.

7. Washishimi

Washishimi Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2005
    New York
    Hmmmmm.....anyone have anything to add on this one? I've set the knee freq anywhere from 2.5khz to 8.0 khz and don't really hear a difference.

8. If your mid boost/cut knob is set relatively flat, sweeping the knee freq. will have very little effect on sound.

With that said 2.5kHz to 8.0kHz seems to me to be not very useful for toneshaping on a bass...I would think that something 400Hz to 1 or 2 kHz would be much more useful.

9. RevGroove

RevGroove Commercial User

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Manager, Account Services: Long & McQuade Ltd. (Burlington); MTD Kingston Basses International Emerging Artist; Bartolini Electronics Emerging Artist
    Actually, I did upgrade the tone circuit to the three band EMG BQ from the two band EMG BT that came stock on my NS2000/5, EMG DC at the neck and an EMG CS at the bridge, and 18v mod as noted...

...and I liked the BQ so much, I'm getting one for my defretted Q5 as well! Putting an EMG 40J at the neck and a 40TW (dual mode, single coil or HB) at the bridge...the HZs are good there, but I'm looking for a little more...flavour...

...how did your upgrade work out Ric? (Sorry for the 18 month delay in responding!)