Knob mounting question

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by that one guy, Mar 11, 2005.

1. did a search and came up empty.

is there a secret magic trick for mounting knobs on the pot shaft so they don't have that annoying "eliptical" wobble motion when you turn them.

basically how do i keep them perfectly aligned up and down so they are straight when turned???

hope i making sense here.....
  2. lowphatbass

lowphatbass ****

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    When using correctly matched parts this should not happen.
    You either have a parts problem, your pot(s) are bent or your knob(s) are hogged out and worn..My guess is you've got mis-matched parts..
  3. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Or you've got a knob that's too big for your shaft. Look into other knobs. If not, just push them down all the way before you screw em.
  4. As mentioned you need to get a knob that fits the shaft.
    As an interim you could put some heat shrinkable tubing on the shaft, shrink it with heat then put the knob on and tighten.
  5. permagrin

May 1, 2003
    San Pedro, CA
    I have wood knobs that were too big for the pot shafts.

I cut some masking tape to width and wrapped it around the shafts, popped the knobs on, and they were set for a long time, few years. When I did take off a knob the tape was bunched up and had to be re-done, but an easy/cheap fix.
  6. thanks everyone,

that's kind of what i was expecting....i think i'll try the masking tape quick fix and see how it works out for now.

thanks again!
  7. Yeah, also if you can find a plastic drinking straw the right size you might could use that too.