Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Knobs

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by red_rurouni, Jan 14, 2006.

1. red_rurouni

red_rurouni

Jan 14, 2006
    I am having trouble removing the knobs from a bass I just purchased.
    Does anyone know how I can take them off? This it the bass with the knobs on. Any help would be appreciated.
    [​IMG]

2. I can't see the knobs well enough to see great detail, but on my basses, if I couldn't just...pull it off (use some force), a flathead screwdriver (use a layer of mateial under it so you don't hurt your finish) might work. I had a bass repaired once, and the guy put some weird sticky tape on the bare knob before putting the regular knobs on, to keep them on better, and now they are harder to get off, so that may be it. I have a bass that has the same body as that one, a Johnson I bought off of a friend, the knobs pop right off. Good luck.

3. Bass

Bass

Nov 10, 2003
    Canada
    Those knobs might have "set screws", which are tiny flat head screws that help hold the knob onto the post of the pot. Use precision or jeweller's screwdrivers to loosen the set screws before removing the knobs.

4. ...or hex screws