1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Knobs?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BakerJ, Jan 25, 2012.

1. BakerJ

BakerJ

Jan 7, 2008
    I bought a Fender J bass used, and I noticed it had the strat-like numbered knobs instead of the plain(er) knobs they're currently using on J's. The first owner said he bought it in '05 and that it was all stock. This may seem a bit trivial, but I was wondering if there was a specific time period in which they used these knobs instead?

[​IMG]

2. NightTripper

NightTripper

Oct 20, 2011
    Hm, I've never seen that, but I'm sure more knowledgeable people will chime in soon to tell you for sure. In any case you can always replace them if you don't like how they look.

3. SamanthaCay

SamanthaCay Supporting Member

Nov 16, 2008
    Denver, CO.
    Yep those used to come stock on mim fender basses.

4. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    A student of mine had one. It is a Squier, if I am not mistaken.

5. klejst

klejst

Oct 5, 2010
    Nebraska
    The numbered knobs were pretty standard on Fender MIM basses, especially on the 90's and early 2000's models. My Precision from 1998 had them, they were white. I believe the MIM Precision's these days have barrel knobs on them now, however I think the Jazzes still those style knobs either with numbers or a little dot/line on them.

6. MIJ-VI

MIJ-VI Banned Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2009
    For a while back in '93 or so I had a J with knobs like that.

7. tonym

tonym Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2011
    SamanthaCay is right. They used to be standard on the MIM Jazz basses. Not sure about any others they might have been on. They looks just like the ones on my 1999 MIM Jazz.

8. Jeff K

Jeff K Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2005
    Memphis, TN
    Yeah, here's a MIM Jazz that my son got for his wife. It was originally black with a white p/g. He refinished it and put a new p/g on it for her. The numbered knobs were original as far as I know.

Unknown.

9. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
    I liked those knobs for them better then the more common ones. More like black speed knobs like used on les pauls.

10. msb

msb

Jul 3, 2002
    Halifax,N,S. Canada
    The tone is in the knobs ...