Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

koto.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by mishi_ono, Jun 7, 2004.

1. mishi_ono

mishi_ono

May 7, 2004
    Oakland, CA
    anyone else here play a koto?

...if somebody could be as kind to inform me as to were i can purchase some new bridge pieces...

oh yes thankyouthankyou.

cheers.

2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Moved to miscellaneous, since it's music-related.

3. mishi_ono

mishi_ono

May 7, 2004
    Oakland, CA
    my apologies.
    thanks.

4. hey, up in chinatown there's a store called clarion music. they can definately hook you up. also, up around fishermans wharf you can go to lark in the morning. www.larkinthemorning.com
    clarion will probably be a better choice. i can't remember the cross streets, sorry.

5. mishi_ono

mishi_ono

May 7, 2004
    Oakland, CA
    hey thanks phil.

did you find your cord?

6. no. i stole the one off the back of one of jared's amps. it didn't look like anyone was using it, and rus didn't protest. my dad has some spares, so he's gonna bring them by in a week or two, and we'll all be back in the land of the corded.

if you go to that clarion place, make sure to check out the japaneese equivelant of an upright bass. it's goofy lookin.

by the way, did you play with vulcanus at kimo's? i couldn't make the show, my wife threw her back out.

7. mishi_ono

mishi_ono

May 7, 2004
    Oakland, CA
    i did play with vulcanus, and it was a blast.

we were on the bill w. rubber o cement, but i couldn't stay for their set.

live instrumentation of improvisational noise created some very interesting sections. next time (if) the collective performs i will bring the upright and koto instead of the clarinet and sax. it was grand my friend.

8. benjamin strange was there. said it was fun. we always get drunk and talk about making noise, but instead of following through with it, we just drink more.
    the jazz house in berkeley does open jams for experimental type stuff, you might want to check it out.

9. mishi_ono

mishi_ono

May 7, 2004
    Oakland, CA
    really...
    is benjamin strange one of those crazed vulcanus fans rus always tells us about? rus said something about the fans putting them on this compilation cd... haha. kimo's is always a fun place to play, it just gets a little too cramped on that little stage, and all i can get to drink there is some bud true american brew...

the jazz house is one my favorite places to play. getting bezerkely is always a problem though, esp. since i am back in the north bay.

viva la noise.

10. After discovering the koto patch in my ESQ-1 I'm wanting to throw some into a tune or two. Anybody have any interesting/unusual examples of koto playing? Extra credit for non-traditional settings.

11. Try albums by Hiroshima. June, one of the founding members, is a classically trained Koto player, and there is a lot of koto playing in their music.