Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Koussevitzky Concerto Fingering

Discussion in 'Orchestral Technique [DB]' started by Illfavor, Mar 12, 2006.

1. Illfavor

Illfavor

Mar 9, 2005
    DFW
    In bars 74-77 for those who have the music, there's a dramatic slurred section the starts on a middle line B (treble clef, orchestra tuning) then, in sixteen note fashion, goes up a half step then down, so it's as follows:

BCCB BA#A#B BCCB BA#A#B BCCB BC#C#B BDDB BD#D#B BDDB BD#D#B BEEB BFFB BF#F#B

It's one big crescendo, and I was wondering what the best way to play this would be. Start of the G string then shift up and over to the D later? Stay Sul G? Start on the D String?

2. Starting where you gave note names, it would be:

(1221)(1+ +1)(1221)(1++-+)(+11+)(+1 1 +)(+22+)(+2 2 +)(+22+)
    BCCB BA#A#B BCCB BA#A#B BCCB BC#C#B BDDB BD#D#B BDDB

et cetra.

3. Illfavor

Illfavor

Mar 9, 2005
    DFW
    Thanks. I really hate using my thumb to finger notes (haven't gotten it calloused enough so it hurts just a little) but I'm sure with alot of practice this will be fine.

4. You can use the thumb a bit less, blessedly avoiding thumb-thumb shifts by using these alternates:

2332)(21 1 2)(2332) (2 1 1 +)(+11+)(+2 2 +)(et cetera
    BCCB)(BA#A#B)(BCCB)(BA#A#B)(BCCB)(BC#C#B)(BDDB
    ..................... ...OR: (2 1 1 2) (+11....

5. I'd get used to that thumb position agony as quickly as possibly, it only gets worse later on:p

As for the fingering I use (starting with the notes you've listed) I go:

(2332) (2112) (2332) (2112) (+11+) (+22+) (+22+) (+22+) (+22+) (+22+) (+22+) (+22+) (+222) 2!!!!

It requires a bit of a stretch and careful placement of that thumb on the B, but it's the easiest fingering I ever had for it. Good luck!

6. Anon2962

Anon2962

Aug 4, 2004
    +1 for mantisbot fingering.

Try anchoring the thumb closer to the knuckle than the fingernail. Might help. Also, when your are using other fingers with the thumb 'resting' but still pressing the string down, you could use a part closer to the nail - this changes the angle of the left hand which might make things easier. it worked for me. it all depends on the shape of your thumb tho..but a nice callous will build up pretty fast, which will mean no pain!

7. BGreaney

BGreaney Guest

Mar 7, 2005
    Hey man, if you get a nice callous going on your thumb, it'll make your life so much easier. I keep mine doing scales every day. A friend of mine will do vomits on his thumb to keep it going. It deifnitely becomes a very useful tool in situations like these. It is a little painful at first and it takes time, but if you can deal with just some of the pain and maybe a blister, you won't have to worry about the weak thumb anymore.

8. Stan Haskins

Stan Haskins

Nov 17, 2005
    NY and Miami
    Huh?

9. BGreaney

BGreaney Guest

Mar 7, 2005
    lol yea sorry for the lack of clarification. That's basically the idea. I suppose being able to do them without your fingers bleeding is a good thing. Seriously though, good way to get the callous that could be mistaken for a golf ball hanging off your thumb.

10. Yeah.....I remember seeing a few fellow bassists cringe when I suggested we warm up together on a thumb-thumb vomit exercise. It was only a one octave scale, without repeating any of the notes. I was fine with it.....but I loved watching them clutch their hands in pain afterwards. The first time you do it, you feel like your thumb is on fire. It you ever get to the point where you can play one without pain, congratulations: you've got a good callous there.

11. PCPlod

PCPlod

Sep 30, 2005
    Belgium
    Sorry for sounding like a real ignoramous and being some way off topic but is the beginning of this concerto quoting from something else or is it so famous that I've always known it? If so, what is it from?

12. Anon2962

Anon2962

Aug 4, 2004
    I'm pretty sure it's not from anything else.

13. G-force

G-force

Jul 1, 2004
    oslo Norway
    Uh..try Dvorak New world Sym AND Grieg Piano Concerto...

Do these ring any bells??

14. Anon2962

Anon2962

Aug 4, 2004
    REALLY?? Are we talking about the cadenzas here???

15. G-force

G-force

Jul 1, 2004
    oslo Norway
    Oh, I meant the main tune after that.

16. Anon2962

Anon2962

Aug 4, 2004
    Phew. thought i had completely lost it.:)