1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Kramer Ferrington - Acoustic Bass Guitar that doesn't suck

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Hamlet7768, Jul 18, 2012.

1. Hamlet7768

Hamlet7768 Here to chew gum and rock. Still have gum.

Jun 5, 2011
    I happened to be visiting my college today, and visited the corner music store nearby. While I was killing some time, I tried this bass, having seen it and not having played an acoustic bass guitar before. I must say, I was quite impressed. It had very tense roundwounds on, and sounded great. It reminded me of the acoustic solo Steve Harris played in "Blood on the World's Hands."

I searched, and the last post about the bass itself was two years ago, so I figured I'd mention my experience. I didn't buy the bass, as I'm content with my Precision (for now), and it was too expensive anyhow, especially for an impulse buy like that ($800).

Anyway, yeah. Nice bass.

2. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    That's the blast from the past...I remember the Ferrington. I could've picked one up really cheap back when Kramer was having their yard sales at their factory (next town over) before they closed. I tried several of them they had there but they didn't really do it for me.

3. godofthunder59

godofthunder59 God of Thunder and Rock and Roll Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2006
    Rochester NY USA
    Endorsing Cataldo Basses, Whirlwind products, Thunderbucker pickups
    I had one............................it was made nice enough the case was gigantic and you still needed to drag along a amp to be heard.

4. Taborinni

Taborinni

Jan 29, 2012
    I have a Kramer Ferrington KB-1 in black that I bought new in 1987. It is actually louder than most acoustic basses but that really doesn't say much...there's just no way to resonate low frequencies with any volume unless you have a body the size of an upright. It has been a great guitar for 27 years now and it and the case are in excellent condition. My ONLY complaint ever (besides the case almost equaling a Fender Rhoads in size) is that it has a super bright tone and you have to really back off of the highs and boost the lows in order to make it sound like a bass guitar. Playability is equal to or better than many big name bass guitars whether built back in the day or built in the last few years.