KSD basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by sshorepunk, Jun 17, 2004.

1. Anyone tried the KSD basses, the 70's jazz style bass with maple board looks cool (KSD-704), good reviews too and at a good price, but what does the real world think?

KSD Basses

2. DougP

Sep 4, 2001
    never tried the Jazz Style basses, but the rest of his stuff is top notch.
  3. If you do a search, you'll find several threads on the KSD basses.
    They are nice. They cop the Jazz vibe in tone and appearance, they're put together well and they play great.
  4. BoiNtC

Nov 25, 2002
    NYC, USA
    I have the 5 string version of the 70s one Great bass I talked some more about it on other KSD threads do a search too lazy to retype it :p
  5. I've played the 5'er....LOVED IT!!! nice FAT neck...
  6. Deep

May 8, 2002
    How is the KSD build quality compared to the Lakland Skyline series or even Fender?
  7. DaveB

Mar 29, 2000
    Toronto Ontario
    I auditioned two of the KSDs a couple of weeks ago in my search for a backup bass. For the money they are fabulous value. In Canada they sell for about $900 and it may be the best $900 jazz bass out there. The necks are a little too fat for me but that is an individual preference thing anyway. Workmanship and materials were good for a $900 bass. That said, the next day I tried a Lakland Skyline Joe Osborn that is $1500 Canadian. To me it was worth every dime of the $600 difference. Better neck, better build, better pickups (US made Fralins).But if all I had was $900 and couldn't spend more the KSD would be great value.Oh yeah, all the basses I tried were fivers.
  8. todd 4ta

todd 4ta

Apr 3, 2003
    I have a KSD 70's 4 string, and it is a really great jazz bass. The neck is thicker, and a touch wider than a Fender Jazz, but I really like the feel. One very strong feature I like of this bass is that it sounds great both in active (2-band preamp) mode, and in passive mode. It's a nice weight (8.5-9 lbs), and is put together very well with nice components.

The Lakland Skyline JO and DJ basses are great, but are about 70% more than the KSD (talking used prices).

9. BoiNtC

Nov 25, 2002
    NYC, USA
    I own Fenders and the KSD and the Fenders both are equally great, I haven't played Laklands enough to make as strong an opinion, but I love the KSD and my Fenders equally they're both as great! :) I see you're in the NJ area, I'm going to try my best to make the NYC gathering later this year and if you remind me I'll bring the KSD with me, but my memory is REALLY bad so you have to keep me in reminder :p
  10. BassGuyNL

Jul 20, 2000
    The Netherlands
    I have two questions for KSD 70's 5 string owners:

1. How good is the B-string?

2. I own a MIJ Fender Marcus Miller Signature. Although I think it is pretty good, I also think it's quite noisy. I've also read many posts here saying that it really needs a J-retro, which would be another 350 euros or so. Since I'm ready to get back into the 5-string groove, would trading the MM for a KSD 5 string be the best way to go?
  11. boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    I owned both basses you mention. I recently sold the MM primarily because the preamp was noisy.

To answer your questions:

1. Quite good. Remember, it's a 35" scale. I'd say that, at this price level, it would be difficult to find a better B string.

2. The KSD has a good preamp that is WAY less noisy than the MM. I would trade a MM for a KSD 5 in a minute. As I said, I sold the MM and kept the KSD.
  12. godoze

Oct 21, 2002

i love mine.
  13. BoiNtC

Nov 25, 2002
    NYC, USA
    1. I also think the B String is fantastic! I've A/B'd my KSD to a friends Miller, but we both had J-Retros in the basses. His was slightly brighter but not by much. I've put in a J-Retro about a week after I got the bass so I can't really remember the original preamp
  14. sam staples

sam staples

Feb 26, 2010
    I own the 70s 5 string it's a great looking bass and feels great but I had to change the preamp and the tunning pegs are very cheap my bass has to much play in them and I had no luck with trying to find someone who could help me out with getting some replacements I just got the run around and trying to find a good bass case that would fit and hold up to the road almost unfound I call Ken Smith but no luck there either,have anyone made any mods.to there's please let me know what and how much I also play a 5 string music man that needs nothing what a great bass but I would love to get this Kds up to part to...thanks Sam
  15. J. Crawford

J. Crawford Supporting Member

Feb 15, 2008
    Remember, Ken Smith Design and the Ken Smith basses have no affiliation with each other, AFAIK.
  16. boomtisk

Nov 24, 2009
    It's true that Ken pointed this out on numerous occasions, but the entire thing still seems pretty fishy to me. I still remember when Ken still had his account on here and would get entangled into a new flame war like every couple days or so. The guy definitely had an attitude, at least online. I'm guessing this is why he eventually got banned.
  17. sam staples

sam staples

Feb 26, 2010
    I was told when I brought it that they design it but someone else made it,it could be a much better bass with just a couple up grades,Iam using Dr's on it but I'm thinking about trying Ken Smith's Strings on it if you have any ideals I'am all ears..Thanks Sam
  18. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

KSD only does Jazz style basses. Ken Smith does not make them nor support them!
  19. sam staples

sam staples

Feb 26, 2010
    Thanks for the info.I just wanted to get some help on making it right and I got nothing from them other than hold on then I would get the tone!! if you know what I mean,I'am sure I'am not the only one dealing with this,I just know this could be a great bass other than a good Bass for the money..Sam
  20. Ewo

Ewo a/k/a Steve Cooper Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2008
    Huntington WV