Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Kuru: another "which position" question.

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by kiwlm, Nov 8, 2004.

1. A few months back, I learned something about choosing positions on the neck for the same notes.

And just yesterday, transcribed kuru/speak like a child (50% speed of course, will be hell impossible for me to do it at 100%), and was playing (or rather practicing) it at the 10th-12th Fret using the EAD strings.

Then today, I thought of checking out whether I got my transcriptions correct or not, so I went over to the fenders club, who have a lesson on the kuru song. The notes are correct (except 2 notes where I thought is played, and is actually rests), but the tabs shows position 5th-7th Fret using the ADG.

Well, for playing it at 10th-12th Fret, the lower strings are a bit harder to access for me, but playing it at 5th-7th Fret, the fret spacing are wider, hence it have its own cons.

Those of you who played this song, which position do you play it in and why? :)

p/s: I am playing a 4 string.

2. Getao

Getao

Jun 17, 2004
    Menlo Park, CA
    I play the faster riff on ADG, 1 - 4 pattern and all.

In my opinion, it's better to be a little flat and have the note on time than to not even have the note because you had trouble reaching it, as that can compltely mess w/ the timing.

3. 1-4? Does that means using the index and pinky fingers? Coz I am using my index and ring finger currently.

4. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    A-D-G strings...5th & 7th frets, etc. I'm using the 1st & 4th fingers on the plucking hand.

That's where Jaco played it.

5. I assume you mean fretting hand? :confused:

6. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Yes, yes!
    Geez...what was I thinking?!

7. I tried using 1st and 4th fingers for fretting yesterday... felt a bit cramp. So guess I will stick to 1st and 3rd... :)

8. OMG, I just learned what kuru means:
    http://www.wrongdiagnosis.com/k/kuru/intro.htm

Kuru: A brain damaging "laughing disease" in Papua New Guinea, where till recently, tribes ate brains of the dead. It is a very obscure brain disease caused by abnormal brain proteins (prions). Kuru was associated with transmission by eating human brains as part of funerals in some tribes of Papua New Guinea. The disease is now basically exstinct. :eek: :eek:

So, is the song based on this meaning? Or is there some other meaning?