1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Kustom KXB500 Comes Through Again

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Selehpotsihpem, Oct 19, 2018.

1. Selehpotsihpem

Selehpotsihpem

Aug 16, 2017
    I just started playing some HEAVY music with some awesome, awesome dudes. Very happy to be finally playing the stuff I’ve heard in my head for the past decade (give or take).

The rig WAS a P-Bass w/ Basslines > Darkglass B3K / Alpha Omega > Sunn 1200s (Fender-reissue 1200W hybrid head) > Barefaced Six10 cabinet. Loads of gain, big chords in Drop-C including some power chords, add-2, etc.

The Sunn needed a new power button (wouldn’t turn off) so I took it in. I fired up the KXB500 in its stead and we were all blown away by the improvement in tone. More clarity, more low end, just all around better tone.

Pretty funny considering I have about $800 into the Sunn and got the Kustom on a whim for $100 at a used store as a backup.

Such a good amp...

The Sunn is now up for sale. I’m sold on the Kustom head.

jwindham, Session1969, Relsom and 3 others like this.
  2. Zonked

Zonked

Jul 12, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Yeah, this kind of situation keeps coming up.

I think some people judge by cost or brand name and and so, expect to hear a more "quality" sound from a more expensive amp or bass and so,...... "they do".

I guess it is a confirmation bias of sorts.

The sound may be different, but not necessarily better or more quality.

Generally speaking you do get a better product the more you spend but only to a certain point.

The good news is that nowadays if you are creative and have something to say musically you don't need to spend big $$$$$ to get a great sounding and perfectly pro rig or bass.

It is indeed a great time to be a bass player!

bassfran and Sanchan like this.
  3. Relsom

Relsom

Nov 23, 2013
    The Old Dominion
    Proven once again. Too bad it was discontinued.

eriky4003, Teacher and Sanchan like this.
  4. Sanchan

Sanchan

Jan 4, 2014
    Lake Forest, CA
    Last night, I brought my KXB to a rehearsal studio which is usually comes with Ampeg B2RE and 610. Combination of KXB and 610 is much louder and cleaner than B2RE/610. It was not even close! I am still ecstatic with this purchase!:D

5. Sanchan

Sanchan

Jan 4, 2014
    Lake Forest, CA
    Last night, I brought my KXB to a rehearsal studio which is usually comes with Ampeg B2RE and 610. Combination of KXB and 610 is much louder and cleaner than B2RE/610. It was not even close! I am still ecstatic with this purchase!:D

6. NecroticNoise

NecroticNoise

May 6, 2018
    Acheron
    I had a kxb200h and it was awesome through my 4x10 but I switched to my peavey minimax, I saw kustom has a new de1200h head coming out which could be cool

7. KokaKola

KokaKola

Jan 21, 2015
    Kalamazoo MI
    I had a KXB800 for awhile, that thing was just absurdly loud and punchy. Definitely would've kept it if it wasn't way more than I needed. Very underrated stuff.

8. Selehpotsihpem

Selehpotsihpem

Aug 16, 2017
    Unfortunate update: The Kustom started cutting out during last practice. Once I moved it off the cab it was fine, but now I’m extremely concerned about reliability.

I did have it serviced recently for this issue and thought it was resolved. The tech couldn’t find anything wrong with it but went ahead and resoldered everything to make sure there were no loose connections.

Any advice?

9. NecroticNoise

NecroticNoise

May 6, 2018
    Acheron
    Maybe the speaker cable try with a different one is the easiest first step I would guess.

10. Low Class

Low Class

Jul 4, 2005
    Gasaholic
    It's probably the ribbon cable, common problem. Just remove the top cover, disconnect it, and then reconnect making sure it's on firmly.

Sanchan likes this.
  11. Selehpotsihpem

Selehpotsihpem

Aug 16, 2017
    I haven’t looked at the guts of this thing... Is there any sort of solution to pre ending the ribbon cable from coming loose?

12. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 17, 2021