1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

La Cabronita Owners, A Question............

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by 2saddleslab, Dec 30, 2017.

Tags:
  1. 2saddleslab

2saddleslab Supporting Member

May 30, 2003
    Kentucky
    Been a proud owner of a MIM [modded] Cabronita for a couple years. Love the oddball attributes. I know there are certain design variations between the MIM, Squire, and Custom Shop versions. Thought I read the pickup placement was one of those differences.

My question is, would a Squire or Custom Shop Cab owner be kind enough to measure the distance from the end of the neck to the pickup routing?

Mine measures 4.25". And due to the replacement of a custom bridge, it places the pickup directly center between the neck & bridge.

I'm curious if the others are placed closer to the bridge or neck.

Thanks & Happy Cabbing!

thumb_P1280798_1024.

2. BBKINGBASS

BBKINGBASS

Nov 13, 2009
    Philly
    I had this question about the Proto precision custom shop model. MrMoonight was gracious enough to give the measurement

OK... I measured the P-Bass, and the distance from the crown of the 12th fret to the center of the ThunderBlade pickup measures 12-7/16" (12.4375" or 315.9 mm). You could probably round it up to 12.5" without affecting the tone too much. From the nut, it's 29-7/16" (747.7 mm).

3. @2saddleslab if you get 4.25" from bridge to pickup it's bang on the 36th fret :thumbsup:

Fretboard calculator shows the positions,I prefer this one to the StewMac as it gives sizes from nut and to bridge.

Fretboard Calculator

4. berlihe

berlihe

Jan 16, 2014
    I have the MIM too, so can't help, but I noticed you put a Thunderblade in there. Neck or bridge version? I put the bridge one in and love it, but sometimes I can't help but wonder how the other one would sound ...

2saddleslab likes this.
  5. 2saddleslab

May 30, 2003
    Kentucky
    My first replacement was a neck ThunderBlade. But found it provided less volume than my other basses with the same pickup but located a bit closer to the neck. So decided to go with the hotter bridge pickup to make up the difference in volume. Now they all have even volume but the pickup placement [centered between bridge & neck] on the Cabronita provides slightly punchier tone.

6. berlihe

berlihe

Jan 16, 2014
    Any difference in tone between the two, or just volume?

7. 2saddleslab

May 30, 2003
    Kentucky
    Not that I could tell. Same tight and commanding lows and shimmering highs without a hint harshness. The mids sit in the right spot and all is enhanced when digging in.

8. TDR1138

TDR1138

Apr 11, 2007
    Section 204
    Just admit it, this thread is just a thinly-veiled excuse to post this again...

...and I ain’t complaining. drool

berlihe, biguglyman and 2saddleslab like this.
  9. 2saddleslab

May 30, 2003
    Kentucky
    ..........and I don’t know what you’re talking about.:D

But I was curious about pickup placement too.

TDR1138 likes this.