1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

LaBella Strings that are not suitable for basses with "string-through" body bridges

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Timpano Drake, Nov 21, 2018.

1. Hello to all,

since years I am looking for a double bass sound like experience on the E-Bass (I have a Jerzy Drozd Barcelona Etude 5 string with a high C) and after trying so many strings and setups, i decided to go this time for the Labella Originals 0760M-CB Deep Talkin' Bass, 1954 Style. Apart for being a little worried about the neck (I did leave the 6th String out since I have a 5 String model with a High C), I am wondering about the text of the set on the page of LaBella itself (readed it much later,after buying the strings)
    "This particular set is NOT suitable for basses with bridges that require strings to pass through the body of the instrument."

what does it refer to? what are the problems?

thanks in advance for everyone who takes the time to reply!

2. SLaPiNFuNK

SLaPiNFuNK Commercial User

Jul 28, 2006
    LA California
    The Brains: FretNation.com
    Similar to crossing the streams of proton packs...

... in all seriousness, they break.

3. It is my (non-expert) understanding that the stainless steel flat ribbon wire used by La Bella for their flats is formulated in a way it's a little more brittle than most flats by other manufacturers in order to achieve a certain tonal quality that's uniquely La Bella.

Timpano Drake likes this.
  4. SLaPiNFuNK

Jul 28, 2006
    LA California
    The windings are closer together so the string is not as flexible... this is why they are much smoother than other flats too...

5. Comparing the La Bella DTF's with the GHS P Flats I've been using for the last few months, it appears the outer ribbon wire on the LB is wider (as in less winds per inch) compared to the GHS. As far as I can see, the GHS flats are just as tightly wound and just as smooth as the LB, but noticeably more pliable due to the size (ie width) of the ribbon wire.

6. SLaPiNFuNK

Jul 28, 2006
    LA California
    More to a string than what is on the surface...

macmanlou likes this.
  7. Thank you for the fast replies on this matter. I have them on the bass around a week, so far no problem (even with a high adjustment of the bridge and sharper break angle) but with the information you gave me, I assume that they are not going to last much (hopefully not, but probable). Thanks to all of you!

Last edited: Nov 21, 2018
  8. Once they're on there with no major issues, the trick is to leave them alone without messing around. Keep your eyes on the break angles at the bridge and periodically check for any abnormal separation of the winding.