1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

lakland action

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by hvy, Oct 9, 2009.

1. hvy

hvy

Oct 5, 2009
    I have recently purchased a Lakland Skyline 4402 which I am very happy with except for the fact that for some reason the action seems to get noticably and disproportionately stiffer above the 14th or 15th fret. I have the action set extremley low ( the E string saddle won't go any lower) and the playability is superb lower down the neck but I have to start wrestling it a bit when playing high up the neck , especially when playing chords and double-stops ect. I would also mention that the top half fo the neck is remarkably buzz-free even when picking hard on fairly light (40-100) strings. It is also notable that as a result ' it is also very difficult to get strings to snap against the frets when popping in this upper -register. I have been playing bass for nearly 30 years and have owned many basses and thought I had experienced and seen off every niggling guitar problem known to man but it seems I was wrong as this is something new to torment me. The best explanation I can find so far after reading on the internet is that Lakland have put some " fallaway " at the top end of the fretboard to stop buzz higher up the neck , but I could be wrong about this . I would be very intrested to hear if anyone else who owns or has owned a Lakland in the past has noticed anything similar. There are no shops near where I live that stock Lakland and mine is the only one I have ever played, so I have no way of making a comparison at the moment, and so would like to get an idea if this is someting common to these basses , or something unique to this one. Thanks for any input.