1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

SOLD Lakland Custom 44-64 P/J Skyline

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by jhfishn, Jan 15, 2017.

1. jhfishn

jhfishn Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2004
    Mays Landing, NJ
    Price:
    $750
    Strings:
    I have a Lakland Custom 44-64 with P/J's that have recently been upgraded to a set of Aguilar pickups

The bass is around 8.9 lbs ish and has a case although not the original
    Features the J-bass neck dimensions

It's in excellent shape and from me has seen very little use as I have a 2003 USA model and use that all the time. I did buy this from another T'Ber a few month ago

Shipping is included to the US

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 17, 2017
    Smadella and fourtet102 like this.
  2. gard0300

gard0300

Jan 10, 2011
    Vandalia, Ohio
    Do you have the original Hanson Pups as well?

3. murphy

murphy

May 5, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    tiny pictures! :#

4. PaulYeah

PaulYeah

Mar 1, 2004
    Dallas, TX
    Yeah, the first three pictures are only the thumbnails. The fourth one has a full-size image.

5. mikeluch

mikeluch Gold Supporting Member

Nov 30, 2004
    Ocala, FL
    As per earlier question, do you have the original Pups?

6. jhfishn

Apr 22, 2004
    Mays Landing, NJ
    Pictures have been fixed ....

As for the pickups ....
    Lakland (at least this model) uses springs under the pickups to keep tension.
    They are covered in rubber and seems like a good idea .... however in this case the springs broke through the rubber and came in contact with the pickup.
    The result was a shorted out P-Bass pickup. The J-Bass pickup is just fine

I think I have the P-Bass pickup but will have to check. I do have the J-Bass pickup.

When the issue started the output from the pickup just dropped to almost nothing.
    I had issues back in the 70's with DiMarzio pickup magnet coming loose underneath and reversing itself because of the magnetic pull.
    It got so bad back in the day that I bought sets of pickups and swapped them out during breaks.
    I have no idea why that happened and I am in no way abusive to any of my gear but the fact of the matter was the Dimarzios had a rubber type glue and somehow they just wouldn't hold the magnets in place.

When the output for the P-Bass pickup dropped this is exactly what i thought was happening however I found the spring design and was able to reset it .... 3 or 4 times .... until the pickup eventually lost output.

The Hanson's were ok pickups to me .... not as good as the Fralins (I have a USA 2003 Bob Glaub with P/J's I bought new in 2003) but they are still good.

I wound up buying a set of Aguilar AG 4P/J-HC pickups and had them installed.

That is the story ............ the Aguilar pickups were installed last month.

I PM'ed the TBer that asked about this and told him the situation minus the Dimarzio part as I didn't think it was relevant to post. The Aguilars are a much better choice in my opinion. Of course tastes vary ....

7. mikeluch

mikeluch Gold Supporting Member

Nov 30, 2004
    Ocala, FL
    Thanks, how would you compare the Aggies to the Fralin? I understand the Aggies are hot
    Thanks

8. BradH

BradH Supporting Member

Nov 1, 2010
    Billings, Mt
    Man I want this, don't need it, but want it. :thumbsup:
    Very good price too, IMO

9. jhfishn

Apr 22, 2004
    Mays Landing, NJ
    Actually I think my Fralins are hotter. I brought it to a New Years gig because that's the first opportunity I had to use it.

The guitar player stood a little ways out and said the Fralins were fatter but the Aguilar's were more articulate.

I prefer the articulateness because it didn't get lost in the mix. I'm going back and forth trying to decide if I want to put a
    set in my USA model

They are really nice for sure!!!

If I'm not mistaken I think Aguilar makes a hotter version but this is the vintage one.

10. sirdugh

sirdugh

Dec 22, 2007
    columbia, mo
    I want this!!! I haven't been on TB for a while...now I remember why.