1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

SOLD Lakland USA JO Fretless Jazz - FS

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by E-Mac, Apr 8, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. E-Mac

E-Mac Guest

Aug 30, 2008
    This is a very nice, player's Jazz with a detuner. It was originally a fretted bass, but I had Lakland defret and coat the fingerboard. I filled in the fret slots with birdseye maple lines.

This has been my main gigging bass for the past 6+ months. As a result, it definitely shows a bit of wear. There is some scuffing at the very bottom of the body, a noticeable ding in the finish to the right of the pickguard, a few hard-to-see dings here and there, and a ding on the neck. The one of the neck is near the headstock, almost behind the nut. So, you won't really feel it. I tried to show the scuffs in the pictures.

The bass plays so well and sounds great. I've used DR Sunbeams on this bass since I've had it which don't dig into the board and really growl.

* Body: Alder
    * Neck: Quartersawn Maple w/graphite reinforcement
    * Fingerboard: East Indian Rosewood with Birdseye Maple Inlays and fretlines, epoxied.
    * Finish: Three Tone Translucent
    * Electronics: Lindy Fralin Passive Jazz (stacked knobs v/t v/t)
    * Hipshot detuner
    * Weight: around 9.2 pounds
    * Year: 2005

$1875 shipped O.B.O and it comes in the newer Lakland cream white hardcase.

attachment.

[​IMG]

attachment.

attachment.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

attachment.

attachment.

Attached Files:

2. E-Mac

E-Mac Guest

Aug 30, 2008
    more pics

[​IMG]

I tried to show the neck ding.

attachment.

Attached Files:

• neck.
      neck.jpg
      File size:
      26.9 KB
      Views:
  3. E-Mac

E-Mac Guest

Aug 30, 2008
    i might entertain trades for a few different laklands:
    Skyline Natural Glaub + cash
    DPLE II Glaub + cash
    Shoot other offers my way... nothing with a fancy top, though.

I really am trying to sell so that I can buy one of my old basses back. I don't need to sell, so I won't move it unless the deal is right.

Feel free to offer trades, etc.

edit: per request, I'm adding shots of the full bass

Attached Files:

4. fergbassplayer

fergbassplayer Supporting Member

May 8, 2007
    San Anselmo CA~
    Wish I could buy this baby back now that I need a Fretless...Fabulous Bass and Great TB'r!

5. Bumpage for a sweet bass and a kick@ss TB'er.

PS- Natural Skyline Glaubs exist? Sweet.

6. basspraiser

basspraiser Jammin for the Lamb! Supporting Member

Dec 8, 2006
    Chicago - NW Burbs

There ARE a couple out there!!

Bump for a GREAT guy and a GREAT bass - I am REALLY surprised he is geting rid of this.....whaich bass are you after Evan?????

Must be one of the REALLY special ones!!!!

7. E-Mac

E-Mac Guest

Aug 30, 2008
    There are two basses I'm after. You know one of them, the other is my old custom warwick.

(the picture shows the scuffing on the bottom of the body)

8. Hyper-sloth

Hyper-sloth Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2008
    Tampa, FL
    Bump for the bass I am lusting after. If everyone would just buy my stuff I'd get this right now.

Good luck.

9. JEDI BASS

JEDI BASS

Jan 26, 2008
    Knoxville, TN
    Mmmm, nice to see a Lakie w/ some REAL play-wear, unlike that fake damage other companies put on their stuff. Looks good Evan! And, Fralins are the shizzle! Knowing how Fralins sound.... I'd think that THIS would be the perfect bass for a Jaco fan. Good luck bro.

10. Hyper-sloth

Apr 3, 2008
    Tampa, FL
    Just curious, how much did Lakland charge for the coating on the fingerboard and what is it? Polyester, epoxy?

Thanks

11. E-Mac

E-Mac Guest

Aug 30, 2008
    they told me epoxy, but I can always verify. I will pm you with the price on the defret, lining and epoxy.

12. E-Mac

E-Mac Guest

Aug 30, 2008
    Over the next few days I will take a trade for a Lakland Skyline DJ + cash for this.

13. saltymonkey

saltymonkey Supporting Member

Apr 7, 2007
    Sag Harbor, NY
    Don't do it Evan. Just wait it out for the two you have on the way. You'll regret it.

14. E-Mac

E-Mac Guest

Aug 30, 2008
    I dig it. There's not really that much damage to it. It's a very beautiful instrument. US Laklands have a naturally broken in feel, but this one is really broken in. It's a sweet neck on a bass that has been loved well.

Salty is right... I will regret this if it sells. So, someone better jump on this before I come to my senses.

And yes, this would be the perfect bass for a Jaco fan. Think of it like the Jaco tribute bass without all of the fake play-wear. High quality stuff.

15. E-Mac

E-Mac Guest

Aug 30, 2008
    Nothing has won me over yet. I'll let this play out a few more days and, if nothing knocks me out, I'll keep it.

16. basspraiser

basspraiser Jammin for the Lamb! Supporting Member

Dec 8, 2006
    Chicago - NW Burbs
    common guys....a GREAT BASS from a GREAT guy...it does not get any better!!!

17. Hyper-sloth

Apr 3, 2008
    Tampa, FL
    Friday bumpage for you. Can't believe it's still here. I still haven't sold anything myself....sob. I'd keep it if I were you. It's beautiful, and I can only imagine the sound.

18. E-Mac

E-Mac Guest

Aug 30, 2008
    Thanks for the bump. It'll still be available, but I'm not going to actively bump it anymore. It's going to stay as my gig bass until it sells or my new bass replaces it (in June/July).

19. fergbassplayer

fergbassplayer Supporting Member

May 8, 2007
    San Anselmo CA~
    Good Call!

20. Hyper-sloth

Apr 3, 2008
    Tampa, FL
    Jah, I'd hang to this one at least till its replacement arrives. What Warwick did you sell? I have to say, I love my Corvette Pro-line. It's not typical, it has all Bartolini electronics, an improvement imho. It's a monster funk machine with a touch of Ric tossed in. Peace.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.