1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Laney

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by clockworkwar, Mar 31, 2006.

1. clockworkwar

clockworkwar

Mar 20, 2006
    England
    I am looking to get my first gigging amp, i am looking at a Laney R3/R4, Or a Fender Rumble or any other amp that might be better, Any Advice?

My Band: http://www.rhworld.co.uk/cw

2. theres actually a laney head with a laney 8x10 on the UK ebay right now, i was going to get it for the cab and sell on the head, but cant be bothered, maybe you should check that out?

- Will

3. mvw356

mvw356

Mar 2, 2006
    Brussels
    i have a laney r5. 2 ten inch speakers, 300 watts. i think the r 4 has the same output, but do not think this is enough to gig with. output increases when you hook up another speaker, then it should be fine. it has a balanced d.i. so if you need help, your friendly sound guy can help you out. a few things about laney in general: i do think they armps sound good, but the quality is poor. the input jack on my r5 broke after 2 weeks. also when i move the amp something heavy moves inside. i assume its a transfo. fit and finish is bad also (its made in china) last but not least its very cheap. remember, these are my experiences based on one amp, could be others out there that are happy with laney. maybe i just got unlucky.

i know nothing about the fender rumble line so i won't comment.

4. instigata

instigata

Feb 24, 2006
    New Jersey
    go with sum nice avatar cab(s)

and a head of your choosing. way worth the cash.

like, try an ashdown mag 300 with a leny 2 12 or 2 10.

thats all you'll need.

total cost: 500-700 bucks

5. get an ashdown MAG, they sound pretty good, nice price, nothing else comes close in the price range, they also sell the cheapest 8x10 in england the ashdown mag 810, its even cheaper than the behringer 8x10, go to www.soundslive.co.uk they have brilliant prices, you want at least 300watts,

6. I have an Ashdown Mag C115 300 and absolutly love it. It has a warm very 70's sounding vintage vibe to it with out being muddy. Since you live in the uk they must be pretty inexpensive. I paid 499+tax canadian for mine.

7. I have to disagree with the -ve comments about laney build quality

see my setup below....maybe becasue this is a few years old now its differnt to the new stuff? has laney changed where the things have been built in recent times?

I was tempted by this after reading good mag reviews and it being a british company

I haven't been dissapointed....the DI output is a little noisy, but other than that its stood up to quite a lot of punishment

the combo ways a tonne though!