Laptop question

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by superbassman2000, Dec 10, 2005.

1. hello computer crew,

so i have a laptop that overheats quite a bit, i am running ubuntu linux, and it shuts down quite a bit due to overheating.
    so i actually have a two part question

1.) i am thinking about getting a new laptop, so is there any particular brand that can keep cool?

2.) to be realistic, i don't have any money to put toward a laptop, so does anybody know any tips to keeping it cool?

right now i have my laptop set right near an open window (in superior, WI, so there is cold air on the laptop at all times) but it still overheats after about 10-15 minutes, and i don't really push the computer, i only use it for internet (firefox). Is there anything else I can do?

2. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    That sounds unsual. Is there a problem with your heat sink/fan?

What type of laptop?
  3. compaq armada 1700
    kinda old, but it gets the job done!
  4. Make sure its on a hard surface, so air can circulate underneath it. Laptops are not designed to be used on your lap, or other soft surfaces, heat builds up. You can roast your chestnuts like that if you aren't careful, holiday season notwithstanding...

Does the fan come on? Maybe the cpu fan is fried? That's my guess. Or perhaps the fan is controlled by software or bios, and running LINUX it isn't turning it on?

5. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    If you let it sit and dont do anything on it at all, does it stil overheat? Also, how long have you been running Ubuntu on it? How long have you owned the laptop?

this link could help you if you need to know something
  6. yes, i have it on my dresser right in front of the window, and it still overheats...the fan has been on the suspect list for quite a while now, as sometimes it doesn't turn on, and sometimes it does turn on. the one time it does turn on, is after it overheats and i turn it back on...that is the only time it consistantly turns on...also i just upgraded right to the latest version, and it seems to turn on more, but it still overheats and shuts down...hmmm
  7. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Does the laptop become physically warm to the touch or does it just say it is, and shuts off?
  8. yes...very hot!
    i do believe that my OS has the computer shut down at 94 degrees, i am not sure if thats C or F, it says C when it shuts down, but that seems really hot!

lizardking--those are pretty cool, i was thinking about getting one of those, but i don't know how well they work...
  9. If its C, and you live at a high enough elevation - you could boil water on that baby(if it is indeed C).
  10. its true...
    it gets really really hot right before it shuts down...actually, my sound card is shot on this thing, and i have had the idea that the temp might have melted components on the card...which would suck.
    i don't know if that actually happened, or if its even possible, but one thing is for sure, it gets, and i quote Buster Poindexter, "hot hot hot!"
  11. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Did you try booting without ACPI support, like it says in that thread?

And yeah, that is most likely C, considering that 94 F is not that hot for a processor
  12. cdef

Jul 18, 2003
    Maybe a faulty battery pack? IIRC, Compaq had some trouble with those.
  13. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    if it was the battery pack, that wouldnt trip it to detect an overheat like his does
  14. i run it AC, so i wouldn't imagine that a battery pack would be the problem,

figjam--i didn't try that, but i will look into it.
  15. looking into that thread, i see that (s)he has the same problem i have, and it reaches the same temp.
    i see that they have a solution here, so i will try that
    thanks for the link figjam!
  16. thanks figjam!
    i did what they told me to, and the sound worked!
    thats the first time that worked! sweet
    anyways, i didn't test the overheating thing, because i am tired, and want to go to bed!
    i feel bad because i have searched that forum for answers, but i never found that thread!
  17. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Any update on whether the overheating thing is fixed or not?
  18. I would load up the bios, and see what the CPU temperature says from there.

If it's a desktop and I found the CPU to be overheating, I would just buy a new heatsink/fan, but I don't know if you can do that with a laptop.
  19. Wow, someone need to make a poll on what OS TB-ers use, and what browsers too?