Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

large diaphragm condenser mics

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by Sambo, Jun 2, 2005.

1. Sambo

Sambo

May 27, 2005
    Greetings-
    I was reading the 2 threads regarding mounting small diaphragm condenser mics on upright basses in various locations and it reminded me of my adventure with using large diaphragm side-address condenser microphones mounted under the bridge with the diaphragm facing the instrument approximately 2cm from the soundboard. Has anyone else tried large diaphragm condenser mics instead of small diaphragm condenser mics, and if so what was your evaluation of trying this technique? I tried Rode NT1 & CAD M179 and preferred the NT1's aesthetic.
    Sam

2. Marc Piane

Marc Piane

Jun 14, 2004
    Chicago
    The NT1 sounds really good for studio. It is going to feedback like crazy and pick up everyone with 100 feet live. This is what make them such great studio mics. This tends to be true of most large diaphram mics.

3. Sambo

Sambo

May 27, 2005
    "It is going to feedback like crazy and pick up everyone with 100 feet live."

That is not true. With the capsule so close to the front of the bass, it actually has excellent rejection of noise from outside sources due to its cardioid pickup pattern.

4. larry

larry Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2004
    Florida
    I've done a lot of recording and it has definitely been my experience that large diaphragms are more sensitive and less good at rejecting unwanted sounds than small diaphragm mics.

There may be anecdotal circumstances where the opposite is true depending on the mic and other factors, but in general, what I said above should hold true.

5. Marc Piane

Marc Piane

Jun 14, 2004
    Chicago
    Sambo. I own the NT1 and know it to be true. These mics sound great for studio recording but they pick up everything. I also work as a studio engineer and have done some 'live' (everyone in the same room) recordings. I often use a large diaphram mic on the DB. For the most part there is alot of bleed.

Plus having it close to the top of the bass has the added problem of sound reflecting off the top of the instrument.

Try it though. It might be great. Let me know. If it works I want to try it too.

Also, fill out your profile. Helps folks know who they are talking to. :)

6. larry

larry Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2004
    Florida
    I'm wondering how you go about mounting a LDC mic on a bass without having it act like a mute. Many large mics weigh a couple of pounds.