1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Late 80's early 90's Yamaha BB300

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by armybass, Aug 13, 2012.

1. armybass

armybass Gold Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2001
    no longer for sale...she will just stay under my bed for the time being....

Edit...PRICE DROP $200 Shipped

Great little bass in fantastic condition for its age. Comes with generic HSC $250 shipped.

341303_262057730485014_4272148_o.

2. Red Four

Red Four

Apr 4, 2011
    Missouri
    These are terrific basses. Far better than anything you can get today for the price. Still have the first one I got in '88, and it holds up very well. GLWTS.

3. Sleepwalker42

Sleepwalker42 Supporting Member

Dec 30, 2008
    Chicago
    Can't beat price/quality on this one!

4. TNCreature

TNCreature Jinkies!

Jan 25, 2010
    Philadelphia Burbs
    Hmmm...

5. armybass

Jul 19, 2001
    Yes thanks.....I have avoided selling this bass because I am a Yamaha fanatic and there is nothing you can buy that is even close to the value and quality of this bass. But alas....I am running out of room and want to get some cool new guitar pedals.....

6. armybass

Jul 19, 2001
    bump

7. basspipe

basspipe

Dec 19, 2004
    Pennsylvania
    Any other photos? Is this Japanese made? Passive p-ups?

8. Agree with everyone's positive posts. This should be the bass I sell but it's playability and great, natural tone ensures it stays in my posession(sp?). Looks exactly like mine...wait a minute...?!;-)

9. armybass

Jul 19, 2001

Not sure if it is MIJ or MIT. But it is passive reverse P. I will check it tomorrow to see where it was made.

10. armybass

Jul 19, 2001
    Edit...PRICE DROP $200 Shipped

11. BoRadBass

BoRadBass

Feb 4, 2009
    CT,USA
    This is the same as my BB300... After getting it I sold my USA Fender P bass.............
    If I didn't already have one BUMP!!!!
    Also My eagle eye spotted a replaced tuner for the "G" string.
    I played mine in this.
    http://soundcloud.com/bassment-condition/acid-rain-1

12. armybass

Jul 19, 2001
    bump

13. armybass

Jul 19, 2001
    ttt

14. I'm amazed no one has snatched this up! I love my BB300, it's my favorite bass ever!!

15. xhawk5

xhawk5 Supporting Member

Sep 17, 2007
    Palm Coast, Florida
    Very interested. What is the nut width plz. TYVM.

16. armybass

Jul 19, 2001
    bump

17. Red Four

Red Four

Apr 4, 2011
    Missouri
    To address basspipe's question, I believe all BB300s of this appearance were made in Taiwan. (The only MIJ BB300s I've seen have the older-style shorter upper horn and fancier bridge.) If that's incorrect, please correct. Doesn't matter much, really - I like MIJ Yamahas, but their MIT stuff of this vintage was excellent. My '88 BB300 is MIT and it's wonderful. Still the best neck I've ever played, on any Japanese, Taiwanese, or American bass (a subjective judgment, of course).

On that note, to xhawk5's question - my BB300 has what I'd describe as a P-bass nut width, but a shallower neck depth front-to-back. The comfortable neck depth and nice neck finish make it easy to play for my not-large hands.

armybass may have different points to make on these questions, but I thought I'd offer my thoughts and a free bump. :)

alaskaleftybass likes this.
  18. armybass

Jul 19, 2001

Thank you sir, I concur 100% on all your points. It is indeed MIT and so is my 1986 BB5000 which is the one bass that I will never sell. It is definitely the wider P Bass width as you can see from the pics but I found no difficulty playing the bass at all. It is not like a wide 57 RI C neck. The bass also has flats and comes with a HSC for $200 shipped. It is probably the best bass for sale on TB for the money right now. I would really like to sell it as I have recently gotten married and need to move a few items and I figured this would be a quick one to move. But if it stays under my bed.....that will be OK too.....it matches my black 86 BB5000 and 86 BX-1.:)

19. NeilGB

NeilGB Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2012
    SF Bay Area - East Bay
    Hi,

Which flats are on it and how old?
    How are the frets?
    How is it set up currently?
    Any issues or things that would need attention?
    String spacing at the bridge?
    Is it at all neck heavy?

Thanks
    Neil

20. armybass

Jul 19, 2001
    LOL..... I think I am just gonna keep this one guys.