Latin Jazz-Rock feel...

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by l0calh05t, Jan 13, 2005.

1. What kind of basslines are usually played over that kind of song? (The one I am talking about has heavily syncopated melody which mostly begins on the 1 e [16th after 1] and has a slow tempo of ca. 70 BPM)

Or can you point out some examples (songs) out to me?
  2. Correlli

Apr 2, 2004
    New Zealand
    Here's some ideas and musical styles that might be of use:

- Tropicalia: Jorge Ben, Maria Bethania, Gal Costa, Gilberto Gil, Os Mutantes, Caetano Veloso, Tom Ze

- Samba:
    - Bossa Nova:
    - Pagode:
    - Choro:
  3. I would get a real cuban bass book and go from there. Once you know how to play real cuban bass then you will have no trouble with latin-rock. Other than that learn the clave until you don't need to think about it any more and it's as easy as a straight 4/4 beat. Also in terms of stuff in this area check out Ginger Baker of Cream and Blind Faith, listen to the rhythms many of which sound like they are what you are looking for, also Mitch Mitchel on Hendrix's "Beginnings" off of First Rays of the New Rising sun.
  4. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

I think you'll enjoy this tune. It's called "Concierto Para Metales" ("Concerto For Brasswinds") by the cuban band Irakere with Carlos Del Puerto playing bass. He wrote a book about cuban bass styles. Download the song from here:

Please notice: The file will be available for the next seven days only and for a limited number of downloads.

Mods: I don't know if it's against the forums' rules to post links to copyrighted material (this is from my personal mp3 collection). If so, please excuse me and, of course, feel free to delete this post.