Latin jazz standards - afro cuban?

Discussion in 'Music [DB]' started by basss, Feb 15, 2018.

1. basss

basss Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2001
    NY
    I have gig coming up in a Cuban restaurant playing 'Latin jazz'. I know a lot of jazz standards and many latin tunes wrtiten by jazz guys but not so many writen by South American musicians. The band leader mentioned 'Sabor' which I don't know. I have a done some salsa gigs and have studied those grooves a bit so I should be able to get by with the rhythm. I know we will be doing more afro cuban and less brazilian. I figure this would be a good chance to learn some tunes that are off my radar.

I have several books - 2 Cuban fake books and the Latin Real Book. What tunes should I be looking at?

Last edited: Feb 15, 2018
  2. Neon Scribe

Neon Scribe Supporting Member

Start with Dizzy Gillespie. "Manteca" and "Tin Tin Deo".

3. basss

basss Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2001
    NY
    I do know Manteca and a few other Dizzy tunes. I'm familiar with many of the latin tunes writen by jazz musicians. It's guys like Mongo Santamaria, Cal Tjader, and other more latin oriented musicians who I'm not so familiar with.

4. mdcbass

mdcbass Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2005
    Seacoast of NH
    Sabor a Mi

Historia De Un Amor

5. IamGroot

IamGroot

Jan 18, 2018
    Maybe ask for a typical set list and reach out to the piano player if available? In case you get the real deal piano player who doesnt take prisoners.

Leo Smith likes this.
  6. Ian Stewart

Ian Stewart Supporting Member

Aug 3, 2017
    New York City
    Hey! I play a lot of Cuban gigs in the NYC area. I can definitely help you out with this and give you some tunes you can check out, but need a little more info. What information did the bandleader give you (besides "sabor" of course)?

Leo Smith likes this.
  7. Great tune with a simple Muntuno rhythm that was popular for some time.

Winoman and Tom Lane like this.
  8. I suggest contacting your band leader for this gig, and ask him for the song list for this gig as well as the "as played by" version for each song. If he has charts, ask to see them in advance. It's in both of your interests for you to be as prepared as possible. If you can schedule a rehearsal great. If not, a music listening sit down-discussion with him and you could be fine.

Winoman and Leo Smith like this.
  9. Leo Smith

Leo Smith Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2009
    As already suggested, definitely ask the band leader for a tune list.

longfinger likes this.
  10. IamGroot

IamGroot

Jan 18, 2018
    Are you using a Baby Bass?

11. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 17, 2022