Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Lauricella making J-Style basses?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by fretlessrock, Jun 28, 2005.

1. fretlessrock

fretlessrock Supporting Member

Aug 8, 2002
    Corrupticut
    At the JVC Jazz "7 Steps to Jaco" show last week Felix Pastorious was playing a black5-string Jazz style bass and I swear that the headstock said "Lauricella" on it. Maybe I got this wrong. The bass sounded great, BTW. Anyone got the inside dope on this bass?

Pete

2. fretlessrock

Aug 8, 2002
    Corrupticut
    Nobody?

3. christoph h.

christoph h.

Mar 26, 2001
    Germany
    well, so it's joey lauricella (from fodera), yes? perhaps felix wanted a "fodera with a jazz body". a "real one", not their NYC model. they probably decided to not deal with the rush of fodera jazz copy follow-up orders that is to be expected. so vinnie created that "lauricella" bass.

just an idea. :ninja:

4. Wasabi1264

Wasabi1264

Oct 3, 2004
    President: MusicDojo.com
    Well...It's actually Joey. I have an email in to Felix asking him about it, so I'll let you know if/when he answers.

5. christoph h.

christoph h.

Mar 26, 2001
    Germany
    argH! yes, of course, i got the names mixed up. that's lame.

edited my post.

6. fretlessrock

Aug 8, 2002
    Corrupticut
    Thanks, Wasabi. It would be great to hear about the instrument from Felix himself. My guess is/was that it is a custom and that there aren't many of them around. It isn't like I was going to order one or anything but it caught my eye and I felt a little like a "bass spy" with my binocs!

7. I was in the second row, and I think the bass was a Lakland,
    Darryl Jones skyline 5.

8. fretlessrock

Aug 8, 2002
    Corrupticut
    I got a really good look at the logo, and I was only a few rows back in row G, center orch, so it isn't like I was at the back of the hall. To me, the logo looked nothing like a Lakie logo. It looked more "script" or flowing block style. I also didn't think that the control plate was the curved DJ style plate. I stated above that I could be off on my identification, and it sure could have been a DJ5. I've owned three different Lakies including a DJ4 and I didn't think for a sec that it was a Lakland bass. Ya never do know. Maybe we'll get some confirmation from the man himself....

9. kelbrihan

kelbrihan Banned [Deceiving users with multiple usernames] Banned

Dec 2, 2004
    I spoke with Joey today and he said that the bass was a updated version of the NYC line. The y are coming out with revamped NYC's with many upgrades from the older models. I asked why and he stated that some players wanted the Fodera quality and attention to detail but in a traditional "jazz bass" instrument. He said that he would shoot me some pics of the new line. I want one. :hyper:

10. FYI... there's a Fodera NYC 4 string that's been at Gravity Strings in St. Louis for a long, long time. It has barts and the Fodera two band, and is just a great playing 4 string J-type bass. I'm not sure why it hasn't sold... I've played it a number of times, and it sounds great (I'm not a 4-stringer any more).

Anyway, there's a picture up on their site if you search for it... I know they would come down in price since its been there a while... my guess is someone could pick it up for about $1,100. Gravity Strings is a good retailer to deal with.

11. kelbrihan

kelbrihan Banned [Deceiving users with multiple usernames] Banned

Dec 2, 2004
    I used to have one just like that one but with a maple board. It killed in the studio. I was actually wanting one of the new models, a 5 string, but thanks for the heads up. To anyone looking for a great jazz type that is handmade and a great deal, buy the Fodera NYC.

12. fretlessrock

Aug 8, 2002
    Corrupticut
    Thanks for the info. The bass sounded really good in with the full band. Nice to know that I wasn't seeing things :ninja: