1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Leaving a bass in the trunk

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Steve S, Sep 8, 2008.

1. Steve S

Steve S

Jul 26, 2000
    Can I hurt a bass if I leave it in the trunk of my car in a covered parking garage? Besides the possibility of theft, what can happen to my bass?

2. I leave a 59 p bass in mine always its my backup nothing has happened to it.

3. XavidmanX

XavidmanX

Jun 29, 2006
    Bakersfield, CA
    I would worry about the possibility of the elements affecting the wood i.e. heat, humidity, cold, etc., on a permanent basis. Can that happen? I know I never leave expensive pool cues in those places but those are much smaller pieces of wood.

4. jkramer5

jkramer5

Jul 14, 2008
    Fairfield, CA
    I wouldn't ever leave my bass, amp, kid, pet or anything I care about anywhere I wouldn't want to be left. The very fact you are even asking is probably because you suspect it may not be a good idea.

5. salcott

salcott Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2007
    NYC, Inwood.
    My instruments don't spend the night anyplace I wouldn't.

6. XavidmanX

XavidmanX

Jun 29, 2006
    Bakersfield, CA
    +1.

7. bnutz

bnutz

Mar 27, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Yeah, it's probably not a great idea- obviously because of theft (I know three different players who've had stuff ripped off in the last month- two of them out of their cars) but also because of the effects that weather has on wood.

Both temperature and humidity can have huge effects on your bass. I've had to have weather related neck adjustments (usually after flying) and although I'm not an expert in setups, I've been told that if the neck warps or there's too much truss rod tweaking it's bad for the neck as it can get too loose and lose its adustability. There's also the possibilty of temperatures getting to high or the humidity too low and cracks developing in your instrument.

I've had to leave basses in my car every so often, but I'm uncomfortable with it every time and wouldn't want to make a habit of it.
    -b

8. Tenma4

Tenma4

Jan 26, 2006
    St. Louis, MO
    Occasionally probably won't hurt. I wouldn't leave it there in freezing weather if I could help it. Same for extremely hot, but in a covered garage it probably won't be too bad in warm weather. If it's not covered in the summer heat, I wouldn't do it. Some vehicles can reach hundreds of degrees F inside.

Regardless of temperature, humidity is still a beast. My main bass has spent loads of hours in the back of a steamy truck while touring. After 4 years one of the battery terminals snapped off when changing the battery. I looked and every metal part in the control cavity has little rust pits on them. Welcome to touring the Midwest USA...

Hm. Playing coffee house gigs in the winter probably doesn't help either. Lots of times I've had to dry off/out equipment after coming inside from freezing weather into a hot and very humid coffee house for a gig.

9. I'm of the belief that if wood is exposed to harsh conditions it will react accordingly. Extreme heat causes any solid, liquid or gas to expand, extreme cold causes causes adverse affects to wood, all of this could result in twisting and bowing of the neck, not to mention humidity or extreme dry weather. I wouldn't do it.

10. Spencer!

Spencer!

Jun 25, 2006
    Seattle
    Owner, Pike Amplification & 3Leaf Audio
    My old bass teacher had a '57 P-bass stolen out of his trunk once.

11. JehuJava

JehuJava Bass Frequency Technician

Oct 15, 2002
    Oakland, CA
    it makes me suspect
    +1

12. Eminor3rd

Eminor3rd BLAAAAARRGGHH!!

Feb 10, 2008
    NYC
    Neck warpage that leads to terrible action and poor intonation.

13. I never leave anything valuable in my car, because I've had my car broken into numerous times before. I've had CD cases, golf clubs etc stolen from cars before. Let alone all of the weather issues you'd be subjecting your bass to. Is it really that inconvenient to trek your bass back and forth? If you're going to be doing it that often, why can't you leave it at your practice space?

14. Steve S

Steve S

Jul 26, 2000
    Yea, good idea. I was curious as to what might happen if I leave it in the car.

15. vinestreet

vinestreet

Aug 17, 2008
    Singapore
    Two words: Murphy's Law

16. RustyAxe

RustyAxe

Jul 8, 2008
    Connecticut
    So ... maybe keeping the bass on the back seat would be OK, eh? :rollno:

17. xshawnxearthx

xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    as long as it's not overly hot, or overly cold the elements are not a big deal.

however, if i have a practice or gig that night, i will just bring it inside my job.

18. whitedk57

whitedk57

May 5, 2005
    Franklin, NC
    Don't be stupid - take it inside with you.

19. wazzel

wazzel

Dec 27, 2007
    Houma, LA
    Unless you have extreem temps I would be more concerned with it getting stolen. I never leave my rig in my car unless my car is in my garage at my house.

20. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    If the weather is good and you are in a low crime area, leaving a bass in your trunk is ok. Theft is a concern if someone sees you taking gear in and out of your car. If you put the bass in your trunk at home and no one saw you do it, then you are probably cool provided you do not have a hatchback and you are not in a area prone to break-ins.