1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

SOLD Lecompte TRX-5 Multi Scale

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by Doodaddy, Mar 2, 2016.

1. Doodaddy

Doodaddy

Jan 11, 2005
    West Monroe, LA
    Price:
    Strings:
    Built by Bud LeCompte. Serial #29

TRX-5
    TRANSVERSUS REX FIVE STRING

* Two piece redwood body
    * Peruvian walnut accent
    * Tiger striped myrtle wood top
    * Gloss finish
    * Five piece 1/4 sawn maple/wenge neck
    * Select Bolivian rosewood (Pau Ferro) fingerboard
    * Matching Bolivian rosewood headstock
    * Medium/jumbo frets
    * Graphite nut
    * Black Gotoh lightweight tuners
    * Black neck mounting hardware
    * Black ABM single saddle bridge rails
    * Black Dunlop Straplocks
    * Nordstrand Fatstack pickups
    * Aguilar OBP-1, 2-band preamp
    * 18V power
    * Ebony knobs
    * 34" - 36" Multi-scale fret layout

This bass was one of two LeCompte basses that was debuted at the Winter NAMM 2007 show in Anaheim, CA. It was built specifically to be part of the Nordstrand Pickups display.

It is with much conflicting emotions that I list this bass for sale. It was my first "nice" bass and I've loved it dearly. I want to be as upfront as I can be.

The truss rod is not functional. It is stripped out at the anchor.

I don't know when it happened or how. I'm not the original owner. I never attempted to adjust it for about 3 years of my owning the bass.

I played the bass for years before I knew of the issue and I played it for years afterwards. It would still be my main bass and wouldn't be up for sale, but I commissioned a new custom 3 years ago with Better MouseTrap bases and have been playing that bass exclusively ever since. I want to do a new one so I'm trying to gather funds.

I strung it up with a fresh set of Dunlop Super Bright 0.40-0.120 strings last night and added two new Duracell Pro Cell batteries.

20160302_095322_zps8f1ru7kn.

20160302_095330_zpspst108lo.

20160228_200741_zpshyac1hxc.

20160228_200811_zpsx8gogb2v.

20160228_200817_zps5houcqbf.

20160228_200846_zpstu7d7nu8.

20160228_200854_zps67ta1vws.

There are some marks in the finish as well as a couple of milky looking areas.

20160228_200825_zps7ftemp5p.

20160302_095355_zpsjamidnk5.

20160302_102050_zps3qdapw2i.

Branded Pro Tec gig bag included.

If you can excuse some sloppy playing. I have an video containing audio. This was recorded through my Mesa Walkabout direct out into a Tascam USB unit with some older Sadowsky Blue Label Nickel strings.

This is a truly beautiful bass that sounds richly gorgeous. I realize this is a long thread, but I want any potential buyer to be as informed as possible. Despite its rod issue, the bass is naturally playable. The above video should be evidence of that. It has a slight relief in the neck in its natural state against string tension, which is how I set up my basses anyhow. It's why I didn't know the bass had the issue for so long. The neck is dead straight with no string tension applied. But again. The truss rod is not adjustable.

Due to this type of malfunction with the bass, I really have no idea how to price this. I'm not above entertaining offers.

2. LowEndWooly

LowEndWooly

Sep 3, 2013
    Indiana
    Did those pickups need to be made custom since the pole pieces are such, or are those regular fat stacks? Does it align the same?

3. Doodaddy

Doodaddy

Jan 11, 2005
    West Monroe, LA
    As far I'm aware, they're standard Fat Stacks. They look no different. The neck measures out to be 17.5mm spaced and the bridge is 19mm which lines up with Nordstrand's publications. Them being at that angle allows them to work for the string spacing for the bass which is either 17 or 17.5mm.

To the best of my tape measuring ability. I have no calipers in my office right now.

4. ivlucas

ivlucas Supporting Member

Dec 19, 2006
    Thomasville, GA
    Great deal here

Doodaddy likes this.
  5. Pappasgrind

Pappasgrind

Aug 13, 2009
    What's the weight

6. Doodaddy

Doodaddy

Jan 11, 2005
    West Monroe, LA
    8.5lbs +/- 0.3lbs. My bathroom scale isn't the most accurate with small weight differences so I give a margin of error.

7. Pappasgrind

Pappasgrind

Aug 13, 2009
    Pmd

8. Doodaddy

Doodaddy

Jan 11, 2005
    West Monroe, LA
    SPF

9. punchdrunk

punchdrunk Supporting Member

Jun 22, 2013
    Jacksonville, Fl
    I'll take it if the deal falls thru....

10. Doodaddy

Doodaddy

Jan 11, 2005
    West Monroe, LA
    Does your offer still stand?

11. punchdrunk

punchdrunk Supporting Member

Jun 22, 2013
    Jacksonville, Fl
    Responded via pm

12. Doodaddy

Doodaddy

Jan 11, 2005
    West Monroe, LA
    Back up!

13. bwoodman

bwoodman Supporting Member

Bud built some really cool basses - I've owned 3 of them - 1 had a truss rod issue - he switched suppliers on rods eventually but some of the earlier builds had bad rods - it's too bad he shut down the business - he had some very cool & unique designs - GLWTS!

14. Doodaddy

Doodaddy

Jan 11, 2005
    West Monroe, LA
    He definitely built some gorgeous and unique instruments. From all that I've seen of his work, this one was my absolute favorite. Despite how I received it, I would have bought it anyhow. I really have loved this instrument. I just don't love how much I'm eating on this sale lol.

15. Tmh2oson

Tmh2oson

Apr 25, 2014
    Stokesdale, NC
    Watterson Guitars
    Oh god I want this bass....

Doodaddy likes this.
  16. Doodaddy

Doodaddy

Jan 11, 2005
    West Monroe, LA
    All PMs responded to.

There's a fix for that. ;)

Last edited: Mar 7, 2016
  17. Doodaddy

Doodaddy

Jan 11, 2005
    West Monroe, LA
    Just for the sake of being thorough I pulled out some calipers and did some more precise measuring. 19mm pole spacing, 18mm string spacing.

20160305_125056_zpsjko4sw9f.
    20160305_123405_zpszlgn4iew.

18. MarkA

MarkA In the doghouse. Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2008
    If you haven't already, it might be worth taking the bass to a good repair person to see what it would take to fix the rod issue and if it is fixable without major surgery.

19. Doodaddy

Doodaddy

Jan 11, 2005
    West Monroe, LA
    I've talked to several luthiers about the repair and it's not a path I personally want to embark on. The bass is entirely playable for me as is and fixing something that didn't really change anything for me isn't that high on the priority list. Given that I've been exclusive to a different bass and planning on commissioning another custom, I don't have much incentive for the repair. If I invested in a repair and then sold the bass, the end result is still me eating about the same money. This way someone can make that decision for themselves on if and how they do the repair.

20. Doodaddy

Doodaddy

Jan 11, 2005
    West Monroe, LA
    PMs responded to!