Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Lee Morgan--Search for the New Land

Discussion in 'Music [DB]' started by standup17, Mar 30, 2005.

1. Hello, I just dusted off an old cassette of this record, and am loving it (again).

What do you think of the record, compositions, bass work (Reggie Workman)?

I am not a jazz player, but I know what sounds good to me. It happens to be about the only jazz guitar (Grant Green) of the period that I know and really get in to.

And if I like that, do you have other recommendations? I have a few other Lee recordings (I love Tom Cat), and also some Jackie McLean ones that I really like.

Thanks for your time,
    Z

2. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    Check out Wayne's BLUE NOTES (JuJu etc), Hank Mobley (Soul Station, etc) also on BLUE NOTE. In fact, maybe just go through the whole BLUE NOTE catalog from the late 50s to the mid 60s.

Coupla things I been digging lately
    BASRA - Pete LaRoca, Steve Kuhn, Steve Swallow (on upright) and Joe Henderson
    MOTOR CITY SCENE - Donald Byrd, Pepper Adams, Al Grey, Tommy Flanagan, PC, Louis Hayes

Oh and Duke Pearson SWEET HONEY BEE - Freddie Hubbard, Joe Henderson, James Spaulding, Duke, Ron Carter and Mickey Roker.

3. Monte

Monte

Jan 9, 2001
    New Albany, MS
    Ironic. Champian just gave me this last week when she was down here, and I've really been digging it. I would have never guessed it was Al Grey; never hearing him in such a bop oriented context before.

4. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    That's some seriously bad PC on this.

5. Confucius

Confucius

Dec 27, 2004
    New York
    Motor City Scene must be in the air -- because I just got my hands on that one also. Haven't listened yet though.

6. Thanks guys, so do all the players on "Motor City" hail from Detroit?

The McLean record I really like (and I only have a few) is "Here To Stay".

Z

7. Whoops, I think that is a Freddie Hubbard record...

Z

8. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Hence the title.

9. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    My teacher just hipped me to another record called MOTOR CITY SCENE that's
    Thad Jones - trumpet
    Billy Mitchell -tenor
    Tommy Flanagan - piano
    PC - bass
    and Elvin Jones drums

4 tunes, all Thad originals. VERY profound.

10. Monte

Monte

Jan 9, 2001
    New Albany, MS
    By the way, Champian was playing with some of the older cats and I believe it was Jimmy Cobb who told her the track listings for Motor City Scene: Comlete recordings are wrong. If it wasn't Jimmy, it was someone who played with Thad Jones and got it from him.

Track 1 is reversed with Track 3. In other words, what they call Let's Play One is actually Like Old Times, and vice versa.

Apparently, it was released wrong the first time and never was corrected.

11. oliebrice

oliebrice

Apr 7, 2003
    London, UK
    Early Coltrane stuff would be well worth checking out, Lee Morgan is on the great album Blue Train.
    An obvious one, but The Sidewinder is a great Lee Morgan album.
    Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers, and the Max Roach/Clifford Brown quintet as well...