1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

LeFay Custom Lead bass (PICCOLO)

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by MoonDoggy, Sep 18, 2008.

1. MoonDoggy

MoonDoggy Registered Loser Supporting Member

Dec 15, 2005
    Altoona, PA
    I'm selling this off because I'm moving to Ohio on a few days and I need the loot.

This is an AWESOME little bass. It is 30" scale and is tuned ADGC (which could probably be changed with different string gauges).

The neck has 24 frets on an Ebony-bound Paduak (sp?) fingerboard over a 5-7 piece Paduak (or Bloodwood) neck. It's difficult to count he exact amount of laminates!!

It has a Burled Maple (or Imuya Burl) laminate over the headstock. It also has a heel-less beautifully sculpted neck joint. The tuners are Schaller.

The body is SOLID 1-piece Wenge. I've never seen a piece of Wenge this BIG. Nor have I seen one with coloring like this. The back of the bass is the typical chocolaty brown, but the front must've been sapwood or something because it has a gorgeous yellow tint. The body is also beautifully sculpted and shapely.

The pickups and preamp are LeFay. They sound Very fat and thumpy. The covers are Rosewood or Ebony. The electronics cover is also Paduak. The preamp runs off 9 Volt and is VERY professionally done. LeFay knows their stuff about electronics. Two of the pots are mounted on a PCB and everything is connector-ized.

It comes with a top quality perfectly fitting red Sam Ash guitar gigbag.

The condition of the bass is great. There is a dent just below the bridge, two small dents on the fretboard at the 19th fret, some finite indentation lines elsewhere on the fretboard, and it's missing the trussrod cover. There is nothing that effects playability or sound quality and some of the flaws you have to look for.

I wasn't sure how to price this, but here's what I found:

A headless Pangton 5 model on BassNW for $2400:
    http://www.bassnw.com/Used Basses/le_fay_pangton_5.htm

And there's Two that were for sale at TheLowEnd. The first is a headed Midas 5 and the second is a headed Capone 5. I believe they both sold in the $2000+ range:
    http://www.thelowend.net/thelowend/soldbasses.htm?c=6
    http://www.thelowend.net/gallery/viewtopic.php?t=2984

(All of these LeFays have slim J pickups. I've never seen another one with these 'slanted' style pickups. This leads me to believe that mine is an older custom LeFay.)

I'm asking $1475 SHIPPED in the lower 48 States. I'll also ship internationally.

Here's the link to pics:
    http://s27.photobucket.com/albums/c154/moondoggy3/Le Fay Lead Bass- Piccolo/

LeFayLeadBass-Piccolo2.

LeFayLeadBass-Piccolo4.

LeFayLeadBass-Piccolo6.

LeFayLeadBKCL.

LeFayLeadFRCL.

LeFayLeadFRWHL.

2. Pretty intriguing bass. Do you have any sound clips? There are no piccolo clips on the LeFay website.

3. i had a lefay bass for a couple of years that i had to let go, unfortunately, but i wanted to second the quality in craftsmanship of reiner's basses...lefays are awesome, and with the euro/dollar exchange rate the way it is, this is a great deal on a great bass

4. MoonDoggy

Dec 15, 2005
    Altoona, PA
    Unfortunately I do not have any sound clips and my desktop computer is no longer in commission. If my laptop has a auxiliary input, I can get some cheapo sound clips, but I can't promise anything and it may take a while.

I was very surprised when I first plugged in this bass. This was my first piccolo or very short scale bass. I expected a brighter tone without any low end punch. This bass has PLENTY of punchy and bassy tone for being such a small bass and for being tuned ADGC. It could still easily hold the role of any normal bass in a band situation.

5. MoonDoggy

Dec 15, 2005
    Altoona, PA
    SOLD