Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Left Handed Bass Players??

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Warlord786, Nov 27, 2003.

1. Warlord786

Warlord786

Nov 22, 2003
    Alright I was just wondering if there are any left handed players out there? I just started playing like yesterday, and im left handed. Heh when I went to GC yesterday they had ONE left handed bass under 500. So thats what I had to go with. I couldnt play right handed, it feels way wrong. lol Bass must not be meant for us left handers :(

2. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    i'm a lefty

3. Warlord786

Warlord786

Nov 22, 2003
    awesome, you play left handed too??

4. Jmann

Jmann

Apr 29, 2003
    Lexington, Ky
    me too!

5. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    lefty and lefty

6. Vince S.

Vince S. Resident Former Bassist

Jan 24, 2003
    Im a lefty, but I learned in the right-handed position.

7. Finger Blister

Finger Blister

Jul 8, 2003
    You had to go with the only lefty
    instrument because you can't play righty
    because it feels wrong. If your a Newbie,
    you can learn right handed easily. Yes, it will
    "feel" strange for about 3 months. Then you've
    got the rest of your life to enjoy your pick of
    instruments.

I'm completely and totally left-handed.

The only thing I do right-handed is
    play Bass.

From the beginning, I wasn't going to crippled
    by insisting on a Left Handed Instrument.

Besides, Fretting with your strongest hand makes sense.

8. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    i too would recommend that you play righty, even though i'm a lefty playing lefty.

as a lefty you will not find much of anything for you to play on. if you are just starting out, learn righty - your bass takes two hands to play - which one is more important? which one is more dominant in playing? i feel both are equally important.

i have a weird thing going on with my left hand wrist that prevents me from playing righty. it's kind of hard to explain, but the reason i play lefty is not by choice.

9. appler

appler Guest

Paul McCartney is a lefty and had a lot of trouble... I think he got one of those violin basses and played it upside down.

10. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    Learn to play right-handed while you still can. That way you get a much larger selection of basses available to you, both in the new and used market. 10% of all people may be left-handed, but perhaps only 1-2% of all basses!

11. Mortibass

Mortibass

Feb 13, 2004
    Lefty too

12. I'm a lefty who plays righty...I tried lefty but it just didnt feel right(sorry, bad pun :D )

13. hands5

hands5

Jan 15, 2003
    good 'ol USA/Tampa fla.
    none
    Jimmy Haslip is a lefty that has no trouble whatsoever.

14. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    Before I started bass, I got used to strumming a guitar right-handed. But I insisted on the lefty bass. I knew my options were limited, but I dunno, I guess I like being a lefty that much...

15. Electricmayhem

Electricmayhem

Dec 18, 2003
    NH
    I'm a righty, but I'm just wondering how you guys get around if you play lefty. I almost never see a lefty bass at stores! :confused:

16. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    I'm still fairly new to bass (about a year and a half now), my first bass was an Ibanez Soundgear lefty, and my second is a Standard Jazz. For now, I'm happy with my Mexican Jazz with some easy mods (new pickups, etc). Once I can justify a second bass, I'm probably gonna go a custom route of some sort, probably G&L...

17. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    Well, Jimmy Haslip can also afford buying left-handed models, or why not fully custom instruments!

If you have money to spend, availability becomes less of a problem, and hence being left-handed isn't a problem either. But for youngsters or others with limited funds, being left-handed can be a problem when it comes to shopping for instruments.

18. Jason Carota

Jason Carota Gold Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2002
    Lowell, MA
    *smack* :D

I'm also a lefty who plays righty.

Warlord:
    You may want to try and bring the bass back to GC. See if you can exchange the bass for a right handed model. Give it a try for a solid couple of weeks. If it still does not feel right, return it for the lefty. I think this method will conform to GC's return/exchange policy.

19. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    Nice lefty basses often show up on Ebay, as well.

20. Evan

Evan

Jan 2, 2004
    California
    i am left handed but play right handed. at the local shop they had 2 left handed basses so i figured ill go right handed.