Legit 70's P Bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by prom311, Apr 29, 2021.

1. prom311

prom311

Jan 16, 2020
    I'm looking for some opinions on this p-bass and whether it looks all original or not. I'm certainly no expert so have no idea and it's not advertised as all original but I'd say my areas of concern are the headstock, tuners, and pickguard. The serial number puts this baby at 1976. I understand these CBS era basses can be iffy so I'm going to try and check it out in person and play this first but it looks like this can be had at a decent price. I dont have a ton of experience with these so any tips for stuff to look out for when I check it out in person would be appreciated. Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. Bass4ThePublic

Bass4ThePublic Supporting Member

Jan 27, 2019
    Kansas City
    Yep, the headstock and tuners are legit. Pickguard is not original, they would be black that year.

3. tvbop

tvbop

Mar 11, 2021
    Ive had a few so yes looks legit especially that distinct 70's Ash grain pattern...even the repros dont look anything like that...if light they can be v nice P's.

DJ Bebop, EatS1stBassist and prom311 like this.
  4. abarson

abarson

Nov 6, 2003
    Santa Cruz
    Looks like legit wear. For correct dating of the neck and body, they need to be disassembled and reviewed. That much I know.
    I'd take a very close look at the truss rod "skunk stripe" near the headstock. It may just be the quality of the photo, but it doesn't look like it is properly glued into place. Find out if the truss rod was replaced.

5. prom311

prom311

Jan 16, 2020
    Thanks I would have never thought of that

6. prom311

prom311

Jan 16, 2020
    Good stuff, thanks guys!

7. prom311

prom311

Jan 16, 2020
    Any particular reason you decided to move on from them?

8. tvbop

tvbop

Mar 11, 2021
    With two of them I was young and wanted more...the third a few years ago I should have never sold....it was good....so their solid instruments but you need to decide if its for you.

prom311 likes this.
  9. alack

alack

Nov 20, 2000
    Florida
    Those dome top brass knobs are not original. It would have had flattop chrome knobs.

Ghastly, Amano, DJ Bebop and 4 others like this.
  10. Smooth_bass88

Smooth_bass88 vaxx! Supporting Member

Oct 31, 2006
    North AMERICA, USA
    I don't understand what wouldn't seem 'legit' on this bass. Looks exactly like every other 70s Fender in the world.

11. prom311

prom311

Jan 16, 2020
    Very true but it never hurts to get a second opinion especially from someone smarter than me

Sparuto likes this.
  12. Vitamin D

Vitamin D

Jan 29, 2021
    Pennsylvania
    That basement is legit 70's. The blue junk hanging from the ceiling is period-correct and has appropriate age wear.

13. pbass2

pbass2

Jan 25, 2007
    Los Angeles
    This cracked me up. But yeah, judging from that basement, I'd have that bass inspected for black mold if you decide to buy it:roflmao:

Vitamin D and DJ Bebop like this.
  14. Plain Old Barry

Plain Old Barry Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2018
    Connecticut
    My '79 has the s/n on the headstock, and only the F on the neck plate, so it's probably earlier than mine.

JMacBass65 likes this.
  15. elgranluis

elgranluis

Feb 14, 2003
    Vail, CO
    There’s some tho going on with the bridge as well.

16. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    Endorsing artist: Dingwall Guitars
    The body and neck look to be correct for a post 1973 to 1976ish Precision as much as you can tell from the pictures.

Replacement pickguard, knobs and strap buttons at the very least. Can't tell about the pick up without seeing the bottom of it. And I'm withholding judgement on the bridge without a better picture.

JMacBass65 and FenderOli like this.
  17. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2020
    Austin, TX
    Looks legit to me. Maybe the guard or the knobs but that's no big deal to me. It looks like it's been played so anything that could go wrong would have happened.

Is that a Betamax player?

FenderOli likes this.
  18. bmusic

bmusic

Oct 22, 2017
    Los Angeles
    I assume you did a serial number check.

At some point in 76 they started putting the serial numbers on the headstock, so this would be an early 76 neck.

19. led4thehed2

led4thehed2

Sep 29, 2008
    Indiana
    Oh my goodness, that A string Must. Put. In. Saddle. Slot.

Kubicki Fan likes this.
  20. Acoop

Acoop

Feb 21, 2012
    Close enough, without the pickguard.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 23, 2021