Leland Sklar with Lyle Lovett

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by jwsamuel, Jul 27, 2005.

1. jwsamuel

jwsamuel

Apr 26, 2004
    Hi,

I just got back from seeing Lyle Lovett and the Large band with Leland Sklar on bass and Russ Kunkel on drums. I had forgotten what a good bass player Sklar is.

Jim

2. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    Did he play his green Dingwall? :)

3. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    he is one of the greatest hard-working cats out there...

4. jwsamuel

jwsamuel

Apr 26, 2004
    I couldn't tell who the maker was, but it was bright green. He looked kind of funny wearing a black suit, white shirt and tie, with the long hair and long beard, playing a birght green bass.

He was really good and was a good combinations with Russ Kunkel on drums.

Jim

5. jwsamuel

jwsamuel

Apr 26, 2004
    My wife is usually totally oblivious to things like that. But hal;fway through the concert, she asked me if I knew who the bass player was because he was really good.

BTW, the concert itself was really good. Lovett is travelign with a 13-piece band, four backup singers and himself.

Jim

6. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    Thats the Dingwall :)

7. Yup Dingwall it is.
    [​IMG]

8. RHFusillo

RHFusillo Supporting Member

Mar 20, 2000
    Phoenix, AZ
    How cool is that? I've seen Lyle a number of times, in a variety of venues around Houston -- everything from Anderson Fair (a small folk club where he played before he got famous) to the Rodeo in the Astrodome -- but never with Lee Sklar. The last couple of times, he had (the awesome) Viktor Krauss with him.

(Viktor has a cute sister who sings -- Lyle was nice enough to let her sit in with the band. :cool: )

9. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    Viktor is amazing, I love his stuff with Jim Keltner and Bill Frissel (Gone like A Train).

.. Leland is still a really hip bassist.