Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Leland Sklar with Lyle Lovett

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by jwsamuel, Jul 27, 2005.

1. jwsamuel

jwsamuel

Apr 26, 2004
    Hi,

I just got back from seeing Lyle Lovett and the Large band with Leland Sklar on bass and Russ Kunkel on drums. I had forgotten what a good bass player Sklar is.

Jim

2. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    Did he play his green Dingwall? :)

3. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    he is one of the greatest hard-working cats out there...

4. jwsamuel

jwsamuel

Apr 26, 2004
    I couldn't tell who the maker was, but it was bright green. He looked kind of funny wearing a black suit, white shirt and tie, with the long hair and long beard, playing a birght green bass.

He was really good and was a good combinations with Russ Kunkel on drums.

Jim

5. jwsamuel

jwsamuel

Apr 26, 2004
    My wife is usually totally oblivious to things like that. But hal;fway through the concert, she asked me if I knew who the bass player was because he was really good.

BTW, the concert itself was really good. Lovett is travelign with a 13-piece band, four backup singers and himself.

Jim

6. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    Thats the Dingwall :)

7. Yup Dingwall it is.
    [​IMG]

8. RHFusillo

RHFusillo Supporting Member

Mar 20, 2000
    Phoenix, AZ
    How cool is that? I've seen Lyle a number of times, in a variety of venues around Houston -- everything from Anderson Fair (a small folk club where he played before he got famous) to the Rodeo in the Astrodome -- but never with Lee Sklar. The last couple of times, he had (the awesome) Viktor Krauss with him.

(Viktor has a cute sister who sings -- Lyle was nice enough to let her sit in with the band. :cool: )

9. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    Viktor is amazing, I love his stuff with Jim Keltner and Bill Frissel (Gone like A Train).

.. Leland is still a really hip bassist.