Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Leland Sklar

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by TaySte_2000, Dec 30, 2004.

1. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    Right now this might be more of a Recordings question than a Bassist one but I want more info on this guy.

I just got for Christmas the Serious Hits Live DVD by Phil Collins and it's great and looking at Leland Sklar's basses it seems he's using two Yamaha TRB's one an amber 5 string and one's a black 4 string, now they both kinda look like lined fretless's but at the same time he only has fretless tone when it's needed are these basses actually using that mandolin wire that he goes on about or are they actually fretless and he's just better than me :D If it is Mandolin wire I might get my fender jazz refretted this way. (Any one know how long they last?)

Can people recommend some James Taylor Albums with Leland at his best?

And finally people just talk som Leland to me, I've really opened my eyes to him since that Bass Player interview.

Thanks guys

2. Eric Grossman

Eric Grossman

Nov 3, 2004
    St. Louis
    Endorsing Artist: Hipshot Products and SIT Strings
    Leland Sklar is one of my absolute favorite players. He has a unique melodic approach, and he knows exactly when and how to step out, without stepping on the song.

He and Jamerson are the ones that taught me (Indirectly of course) the importance of modes and pentatonic scales, and how to use them musically.

Check out Lames Taylor's greatest hits, especially volume 1. "Carolina on my Mind", and "You've got a Friend" are two of my favorites, but it's all genius stuff.

It's great to hear that you've become interested in one of the truly great players.

3. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Sklar has a tremendous sense of melody while staying in the pocket. He's always doing his supportive role, never stepping on the artists' toes, but in a manner that's always present, flowing and melodic.

He'll be the first person to admit that he has "limited chops", but the sense of melody in his head, and how he transmits it to his playing, is amazing and second to none.

4. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    IMO, Sklar has 'chops'; maybe not NAMM Show chops, still...
    Sklar was one of the original '70s Fusioneers...he is on Billy Cobham's seminal Spectrum album (& not Will Lee). ;) Nevertheless, Sklar was typically thought of as a "Folkie' due to his sessions with James Taylor, Jackson Browne, Linda Ronstadt, etc
    IIRC, it was in a '70s Guitar Player mag where I read about one of Sklar's early practice routines-
    Play an LP at 45rpm & attempt to keep up with the quicker tempo. I think he said he practiced "I Saw Her Standing There" like this...eventually, when you go back to 33 1/3rpm, you'll have all sorta 'extra space' to fit stuff. ;)

I also liked how Sklar has his P-bass pickups reversed.

5. Eggman

Eggman

Dec 3, 2004
    Denver, Colorado
    I believe on that DVD Leland is using a Dingwall 5 string - and yes they have mandolin fret wire.

6. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    It is definatly a Yamaha TRB I'm watching again as I type, I've read in the interviews that he has a TRB 5 string fretless so that one probably was it on the first couple of songs, but the four string he uses for most of it it sounds like a fretted but every so often it slips into that sort of greasy fretless playing, and that again is a black yamaha TRB.

Thanks guys

7. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool:
    One of my Fav's.
    Check out JT's-Flag-CD or Daddy Loves his Work CD.
    Also his playing with Lyle Lovett.
    The large Band CD.

8. Eric Grossman

Eric Grossman

Nov 3, 2004
    St. Louis
    Endorsing Artist: Hipshot Products and SIT Strings
    I didn't know he was on the Large Band album. Amazing work on an amazing album.

9. Thurisarz

Thurisarz

Aug 20, 2004
    He play's on Vanessa Carlton's album "Be not nobody", no miracolus bass playing, if you want that check out other albums with him, this album is all about genuine masterpiece pop music!