Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

LES CLAYPOOL!

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by nate22, Jun 17, 2004.

1. nate22

nate22

May 5, 2004
    Holy Hell!

I just saw Primus last night for the first time. Les made me weep. I didn't know whether to put my bass down for good or lock myself in my room for a year. I was in the front row getting smashed up against the guard rail with my jaw gaping open, unable to pay attention to the idiots slamming into me.

2. lyle

lyle Guest

Jan 10, 2004
    Vernon, B.C. Canada
    i agree!

les is snazy

3. DougP

DougP

Sep 4, 2001

That they do!

4. I'm there with you guys. Saw them here in ATL. at the Tabernacle. For some reason I went to the show and totally forgotten about Primus being somewhat of a jam band. So when the jamming took place I was completely floored. I knew Les was good, real good, but I had no idea I was gonna see what I did. The show rocked. Lur and Tim tore it down too...... Man that was a good show.

5. Steve Clark

Steve Clark Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2004
    London ON
    My son and I went to see Primus in Toronto on Saturday night. I think I was the oldest and he was the youngest. He's 10 and I'm 38.

We were in the 5th row centre so the view was great and the sound balance was terrific. I was expecting us to get our heads blown off with volume but it was a perfect volume and nicely mixed.

My son said he wanted to hear Southbound Pachyderm (sp?) that night. It made his day when Les started with that tune. Les was very impressive I have to say even thought he looked like he was having no fun at all. Amazingly fluid and econmical technique. I spent that day yesterday trying to relax and play lighter and faster on my own bass.

What a great thing to be able to share with my son. Maybe someday when he's a rock god (its on his to do list) he will say "When I was 10 years old my dad took me to see Bowie and Primus and I knew right then I wanted to be a rock star" :cool:

6. Jeffrey A-Bomb

Jeffrey A-Bomb Drink Coffee & Destroy Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2000
    Silver Spring, MD
    I was at the Philly show as well (if that's the one you're speaking of). I was also on the guard rail, on the left side of the stage near the huge PA speaker hehe.. That guard rail gave me some nice forearm bruising, but it was sooooooooooo worth it. Best show I've EVER been to :bassist:

7. Cliff Bordwell

Cliff Bordwell Commercial User

Jan 6, 2004
    USA , Orlando , Florida
    Owner of CB BASSES
    I think Les does not get enough credit for changing the way the bass is thought of as an instrument now.

8. He does from bassists.

9. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

And other musicians... :confused:

Please, this thread better not become, "Les Claypool is one of the most underrated bassists of all time."

We all know it's Roger Glover!

10. Even if Les Claypool was the worst bassist in the world, his stage presence is amazing. He's one of the most entertaining people I've ever seen on a stage. I'm sure anyone who saw him would agree.
    However, Les Claypool is an extremely great bassist, and some people don't realize that because he doesn't bust out victor wooten style tracks on most primus cds. He isn't going to play to his potential on everysong.. or.. well he'll just fall over and die.
    Has anyone seen the frog brigade or holy mackerel live?

11. corrosivemind5

corrosivemind5

May 16, 2004
    LES IS AMAZING! SERIOUSLY LIKE HANDS DOWN MY FAVORITE BASSIST ever......his other bands are cool too like:the flying frog brigade, oysterhead, and ccbbb :)

Ben

12. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I say MORE Claypool.

13. danshee

danshee Banned

May 28, 2004
    Chicago, Illinois
    Claypool jams, we all know. Also common knowledge is that live you will get your head blown off. He will definitely go down in the bass players books. He is not underrated by the way. He is one of the most acclaimed bass players in the last 15 years. Want proof? Look at all of his publicity compared to guys like Bill dickens the holy ghost of bass.

14. Saw the Frog Brigade at the Vogue in Indianapolis about a year and a half or so ago. They were quite good. Played a bunch of Pink Floyd, Bowie and other covers and did a lot of nice jamming. My only complaint was that Les did this stage thing where he put on a pair of glasses with little lights on them and turned down the stage lights so it looked like a pair of glowing eyes on stage. It was cool, but I've been a fan of The Residents for years and I think he sort of copped it from them.

Saw Primus on their early 90's Lollapalooza tour in Minnesota. Also insanely good show.

As usual, Les' playing with without compare.

15. Bad Brains

Bad Brains Banned

Jan 7, 2004
    Detroit, michigan
    Sure he does, but mostly only from Primus fans. I have always considered Primus a sort of "cult band". The only people who would really get Primus are the Primus fans only.

Many "traditional" bass players don't think so highly of him. Must be a fool to deny his talent however. One of the few musicians who is nearly impossible to immitate.

16. TheRongongo

TheRongongo

Oct 25, 2003
    Brooklyn NY
    I saw the brigade live, last year around the same time that the tour de fromage, but a year earlier. i have to say that the two best concerts i've been at was the brigade show in NYC and the primus show's at roseland this year.
    The brigade show was just the coolest thing because it's a bit more free than primus can be.
    granted les busts out with primus, but at the brigade, it was more so jams, more than with primus now. not to say the jams aren't badass.

thing is with people, they don't really see les for what he is, bass players do but the avg joe can't understand how insanely godlike he is