Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Less Expensive Alternative to AMT/KM185

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by Brennan, Jan 16, 2005.

1. Brennan

Brennan

Sep 29, 2004
    San Francisco
    I was looking for a less expensive alternate for live micing app's than the AMT or Nuemann KM185. I assume other hypercardiod mics might sound comparable. I know the Oktava MC012 is a common sub for the KM185. Has anyone had any experience with these. Another is the Audix M1245hc, Elation KM201, or the Hebden CM1050c. I can't help thinking that for less precise (ae live) applications some of these mic's might be ideal.

2. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    If you are looking for a bass mounted condenser you could go for an Audio Technica ATM35. I know a couple bassists who use this mic. They frequently turn up on ebay. You could also check out the K&K Golden Bullet. It isn't as feedback resistant as the AMT and generally works better blended with a pickup, but I have gigged with mine on its own. It now serves as a backup to my AMT.

3. Brennan

Brennan

Sep 29, 2004
    San Francisco
    Thanks for the suggestions. , I'm not a big fan of the ATM35 or the golden bullet. What I was getting at was something that sounded as good as the AMT and close to the Nuemann but cheap. My thinking was other company's must manufacture mics with a similar pattern (feedback resistant hypercardiod) whose price isn't as high as a boutique, bass only app.

4. ctxbass

ctxbass Supporting Member

Nov 6, 2003
    Central Texas
  5. jonas

jonas

Dec 9, 2003
    Frankfurt am Main/Germany
    Lando Music (Germany)
  6. Adrian Cho

Adrian Cho Supporting Member

Sep 17, 2001
    Ottawa, Canada
    I have tried an Oktava MC012 with a cardioid capsule. I had the mic mounted between the bridge legs with rubber bands. Way too to easy to get feedback. With the AMT it's not just a matter of how good the sound is but how loud you can get it before feedback. That high degree of usability is a function of the capsule to some degree but also of the mounting system and the preamp filtering, neither of which I've ever seen on any other product.

7. Brennan

Brennan

Sep 29, 2004
    San Francisco
    Now that's usefull information. I just got a focus 2 witha mic channel. That theoretically would give me more controll.

8. Brian K

Brian K Supporting Member

May 21, 2004
    Toronto, ON
    I rented an audio-technica pro35x for a gig last weekend, and it was quite impressive. With my bass, it was no better or worse than the AMT, the km184 or the SDSystems, just different. I think I will buy the pro35x soon.

9. basss

basss

Aug 27, 2001
    NYC
    I used to use an AKG c416. Can't remember how much it cost though.