1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Lessons or no lessons???

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Jobiebass, Mar 13, 2008.

1. Jobiebass

Jobiebass

Feb 25, 2008
    Ive been playing 2.5 years now, I have a lot of spare time on my hands with living out of hotels through the week because of work, And I do like to dedicate 1 day over the weekend to having a jam with some of my friends...

Recently found Studybass.com and pretty much printed the whole site and read through it all and I have to say it improved my playing no end after the initial "oh **** ive been playing 2 years and I didnt realise I sucked at keeping a steady beat" But after all that, ive learnt how to read music, some chords, 1 finger per fret, legato ect ect ect, basicly all the basics and put it to my already "comfortable" playing ability.

But my dilemma is now that I dont know if I should take lessons? with practice of what I have already learnt im sure I could quite easyly be a compitant player, I have a lot of time to practice and i sit with a metronome for 10-15 mins a day, go up and down scales to learn finger placement ect. I dont have a grandure that ill ever play in a band good enough to be signed. Im just quite happy learning songs and jamming with a few friends.

So is it worth taking lessons?????:help:

2. lomo

lomo passionate hack Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2006
    Montreal
    Lessons. Definitely.

3. sevenyearsdown

sevenyearsdown Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Sanborn, NY
    Lessons never hurt. I wish I would have had some formal training in my formative years as a bass player.

4. 202dy

202dy Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2006
    What you have done so far is good. You are to be commended.

The advantage to a human teacher is that they will correct any technique problems that the computer or book cannot see. They will also correct and time, pitch, or rhythm problems. The teacher can suggest ways to use vibrato and other things. Since computers and books are not interactive the advantage goes to the teacher. So does the tuition.

5. Deacon_Blues

Deacon_Blues

Feb 11, 2007
    Finland
    What the others said. A few lessons can't hurt anything else than your wallet.

A teacher can be a great source of inspiration as well.

6. Jobiebass

Jobiebass

Feb 25, 2008
    Lessons does sound good, I would like to learn slap although I do need a new bass before that though, cant really play on fretless. Be nice to learn some funk too.

thanks for your advice, ill seriously consider getting some lessons.

7. Rob Mancini

Rob Mancini Guest

Feb 26, 2008
    So do you go on the road a lot? Correspondence lessons might be an option. It's not as good as having a teacher standing over you and whacking your knuckles with a ruler, but it's not a bad way to go for someone on the road. You have to be a self-starter, but it sounds like you are.

Dave LaRue does correspondence lessons. They're not cheap, but he is one of the best teachers out there, and if anyone can make correspondence lessons worth it, he can.

8. Ditto.

9. Jobiebass

Jobiebass

Feb 25, 2008

I work in Financial Sanctions for a Bank, So im here looking over making sure everything is adheard to UK,EU and US Sanction Laws. so I live out of a hotel thru the week and travel home on the weekend. But its a the same hotel ect.

whats correspondance lessons??

10. Gintaras

Gintaras

Dec 11, 2004
    Kent Island, Md.
    Lesson are so much fun and inspirational if you have the right teacher. I have been very lucky to find a great bassist who is a berklee graduate, a terrific drummer and singer and a producer. My lessons are always fun and can land up with him playing the drums and working out syncing with the drummer. We have been working on modes and learning melodies lately and my playing has taken a complete turnaround.

All said...find the right teacher for you. Don't be afraid to change until you find one that clicks.

11. Rob Mancini

Rob Mancini Guest

Feb 26, 2008
    You get a recorded lesson, then you record yourself playing the lesson and send it back for comments and tips and more lessons.

12. Jobiebass

Jobiebass

Feb 25, 2008
    ahhh ok, well im back home on weekends so i should be ok to get a lesson in person if they are available.

Im still a little dubious about it though, I record myself to see what im doing wrong and I can pick fault with myself quite easyly, like not hitting notes on time, bending the string by accident some times, not getting spot on the line (fretless) But im sure thats all lessons will tell me no????

13. I've been working with a terrific teacher for a little over a year. Take a look at his website: http://www.cliffengel.com/ to see what he offers and his rates (which are EXTREMELY reasonable).

Cliff's been terrific in every musical way, and I would highly recommend him as a teacher.

14. BackwaterBass

BackwaterBass

Feb 18, 2008
    Kentucky
    Lessons can save you a whole lot of bad habits if you find a good teacher.

15. Rob Mancini

Rob Mancini Guest

Feb 26, 2008
    Not if you get a good teacher.

16. No, not by a long shot! Teachers--good ones, like Cliff and others--will access your ability, level and ambitions, and tailor a lesson plan just for you. They will help correct mistakes, yes, but will also direct you in theory, style, coordination, tone, musical history, etc.

A quality teacher--whether in person or coorespondence--will offer WAY more than what you've described.

17. I haven't taken a single lesson yet, but I know that I should and will eventually when I get more settled down. You'll learn a lot of things that you didn't even think about before.

18. El-Bob

El-Bob Supporting Member

Oct 22, 2006
    Hamilton, ON
    i've been playing for just over a year, and i already regret not taking lessons. this summer when i can (hopefully) afford it, i'm gonna start.

19. shatterd

shatterd

Feb 24, 2008
    I use www.workshoplive.com for online lessons. I can't recommend this site enough, which is why I keep plugging it. I also have a private teacher, but seem to be making more progress from the lessons online. They have some pretty indepth bass lessons over there to include a beginners course, rock course, and jazz course. I hear they might be adding some funk and fusion in the future. The instructors all seem to be excellent. That's my experience.

20. Correction: I've never taken private lessons before. I've taken a few Musicdojo.com courses before and they've helped me quite a bit.