1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

lighter gauge string ++++

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by draginon, Apr 29, 2006.

1. draginon

draginon

Oct 4, 2004
    I was strictly a medium gauge player and hated the stock sx strings that came on the bass. I decided to string them back up after playing my friends mtd and assuming that he had light gauge strings on his 6er. his mtd 6er is so comfortable and easy to play so I figured id give light gauge another go.

WOWOWOW

these strings are so comfortable and sound awesome when slapped, popped and for holding chords. I can bend them and do trills and expressions easier. Its wonderful. Any others convert their gauge up or down recently?

2. ibz

ibz

Apr 14, 2005
    Columbus, OH
    I'm thinking of making a hybrid set of 40 60 80 100 130 to get that ligther top end while still having bottom.

3. PMC89

PMC89

May 1, 2006
    New Jersey
    im going to go crazy. im gunna do tape wound and nickel hybrids. the e and a medium heavy tape and the d and g dr sunbeams medium light. or light.

4. Im a convert too . changed to D'addarios XLs ligth last year , yesterday I bougth my second set . :bassist:

5. markjazzbassist

markjazzbassist Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    yeah i went up. i got d'addario xl nickel .5, .7, .85, .105

i like the thicker d and g strings. i pluck hard, so it gives me more tension.

6. machine gewehr

machine gewehr

Sep 17, 2005
    Istanbul
    Something was always missing with the .40 strings.Switched to Sadowsky bright nickel .45's and WOOW :eek: My crappy bass has a tone!!! Well it made the E string harder to play especially F on the first fret.Oh popping is a little bit pain in the beginning but you get used to it.Can't talk about slap 'cause my bass doesn't know what slap is :p

7. That's what I play. I just order the DR Hi-Beams light gauge four string set (40-60-80-100), and add individual 130 Hi-Beam singles. It comes out perfect on my 34" scale Modulus.