Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Lightweight 4-10 Cab?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by PRSBassGuy, Sep 30, 2003.

1. I have been using a Ampeg SVT 3 Pro along with a Pro410 HLF cab that I really like the sound of. Recently I have had some back problems that aren't going away quickly. I 'm looking for a 410 that is lighter that will still give me a good low end thump with the classic SVT growl. The Pro cab is 128 lbs. I know the 410 classic is 91 lbs. and would save some weight. Are there any 410 cabs using the new lightweight speakers that would be worth looking at? I know Ampeg is using the lightweight speakers for their portabass(?) series, but I have yet to see a 410 using them.

Any suggestions??????:confused:

2. Scott D

Scott D

Apr 21, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    Epifani 410 UL!

3. chucko58

chucko58

Jan 17, 2002
    Silicon Valley, CA, USA
    I paid for all my gear myself. Well, me and MasterCard.
    The Acme Low B-4 is 78 lbs., and cheaper (but heavier) than the Epifani. But it sure won't sound like an SVT!

4. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Yep, Epifani ultralight........

What's that, not much moolah...

Nemisis 4x10. The most under-rated cab in my asrenal (I've got a few). Hot rod it by changing the horn and it's a monster. And it's lightweight.

5. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    yea, i love mine, but it never gonna do the Ampeg thing. for rock, sounds a bit muted. but for everything else where you can actually distinguish the bass :p, its the best!

6. 410TP - 4x10 Transporter Cabinet.....

Hartke for working bass players. Built tough like our world-class XL Series, each features rugged, roadworthy cabinets with metal grills and our versatile TP aluminum-cone drivers for great sound and coverage.

The affordable option for classic bass sounds. Tuned and calibrated cabinet design coupled with four Hartke 10" aluminum-cone bass drivers. Ample power handling (300 watts at 8 ohms), and a frequency response of 40 Hz to 4 kHz.

[​IMG]

;) Treena

7. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland

Like you I have developed some back issues! Whilst mine are under control (mostly) now, I want to avoid aggrivating them.

I recently sold off my Trace Elliot rig (500 watt head, 4 x 10 and 1 x 15) and got an Ashdown rig (575 watt head, Mini 4 x 8 and Mini 1 x 15 cabs).

I was very impressed at the sound from these considering their weight. The 4 x 8 seem to manage fine as a 4 x 10 impersonator, and at 25kgs(about 55 lbs) is very easy on the back. It's not just the weight, it's the ease of the lift - it's physically a much smaller and easier to manage cab!

Not sure on how it would affect your tone though - but I'm told Ashdown are a lot closer to Ampeg sound than they were to Trace Elliot. I can vouch for them sounding different, much warmer!

If you get a chance, you might want to try one out!

:)

Edit: To get weight of Ashdown cab correct

8. brock29609

brock29609 4 strings, 2 wheels

May 11, 2003
    Greenville, SC
    I think the Avatar 410 is only abouty 85 lbs. The Ampeg BSE410HLF is just a couple pounds more than that. Thought about buying two light weight 210 cabs and stacking them?

9. Subculture13

Subculture13 Jamming Econo

Apr 9, 2003
    Toronto, Ont. Canada
    The best light-weight cabinet I have ever heard/had is hands down the Hartke 410 Transporter. It's a great sounding box.

10. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    How light IS the Transporter? Hartke doesn't bother to spec the weight on their web page.

Multiple cabs is the obvious way to go if you have back issues. Means more trips in and out, but... My 1-12s weigh in at about 40 pounds each.

11. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    Only 65lbs according to the reviews on bgra. Very light indeed.

Alex

P.S. I'm only the messenger - don't shoot me if they're wrong.

12. Carvin 4x10 is 72 pounds. I have their 2x10, very nice Eden-like sound.

13. flywheel

flywheel

Jul 9, 2003
    Shawnee, KS
    I have a GK 4-10 that I love! It's rated at 350W or so but I'm not sure how much it weighs in at??? I bought it back in 1995 or so and they don't make them anymore but it's been a great cab and easy on the back. My bottom 4-10 on my rig is one of those Ampeg Classic 4-10's and I call it the 'monster'. I usually make someone help me with it when I use it onstage to avoid back strains. The 91lbs. I could handle but not when it's that bulky.

14. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    Ashdown MAG410. 65lbs. $549 from MF. I'd say get that. Ashdown is the shiznit. :bassist:

15. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    holy cow, how could we forget?!

how about a nice pair of used Aguilar 1x12s?!?! they usually go for about $250-300 each.

killer pick tone that'd rock with the SVT. they each weigh only 39 lbs., and you can carry one in each hand.

dont get no easier for 4x10 sized tone in a waaaaay lighter package.

other than the Epi's. ;)

16. Technical Description
    Precision-tuned and calibrated cabinet design

4 Hartke 10 in. TP aluminum-cone bass drivers

Power Handling: 300 Watts @ 8 Ohms

Frequency Response: 40 Hz to 4 kHz

Sensitivity: 96 dB @ 1 W/1 M

Voice Coil: 1.5 in.

Magnet Weight: 40 oz.

Single 1/4 in. Input

Dimensions (H x W x D): 24 x 24 x 15 in.

Weight: 65 lbs.

;) Treena