1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Lightweight Amp Head with Cab?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Godinho_EURO6LX, Aug 22, 2012.

1. Godinho_EURO6LX

Godinho_EURO6LX

Jan 22, 2012
    Bahrain
    Hey Guys

I am lookin for a Lightweight Bass Amp Head with a Suitable Cab to go with.

I Play in a Metal Band with Super Distorted 7 String Guitars and Double Bass Drum Running..So Frequencies at the Jam Room are all over the Place, Currently i play with an Eden 120 Watt Combo and My Sound Doesn't Through that well even with the Mids Turned up to 3 pm.

Well so ive landed on a Decision to Change Gear to get myself to blend in with the Mix

Currently My Options for a New Bass Amp Are

1) SWR Headlite
    2) Orange TB500
    3) Ampeg SVT-3 Pro
    4) Ampeg Portaflex PF350
    5) Genz Benz

And a Suitable Cab for any of the Amps mentioned above that will provide me with some good Low Mids and Clanky High End...That will help cut thru

Most of all im looking for a Good Tone..Not very Traditional Sounding but somethin Hi-Fi and Clear.

I play a Spector Legend 6 installed with EMGs and an Aguilar Pre.

Cheers Buddies

2. Shuttlemax 9.2 + fEARful 15/6 would be my recommendation.

3. Godinho_EURO6LX

Godinho_EURO6LX

Jan 22, 2012
    Bahrain
    Thanks for that..Ive Checked out Fearful Cabs and the Prices are way above my Budget.

The Shuttlemax 9.2 Can be Considered..Sounds Good

4. Godinho_EURO6LX

Godinho_EURO6LX

Jan 22, 2012
    Bahrain
    But Again the ShuttleMax looks Kinda Out too....Im Lookin for somethin within 1500$

Hence the Lightweight Bass Amps....Somethin that i can carry around easily and also Use at home for Recordings. The SVT-3 Pro i mentioned above isnt lightweight at all...but i put it up there cause there is a dealer about 100 Miles away from here that can offer me an Ok Price on it

5. alaskaleftybass

alaskaleftybass Will Hanbury, Jr. Supporting Member

Mar 21, 2012
    Sitka, Alaska
    Hi there, be sure to wear earplugs :)
    I rely a lot on the guys here and their opinions, they're out in the trenches doin it.. two of the popular recommendations I've seen a lot are the Genz Benz and Gallien Kruger heads and cabs. For some reason these two companies can offer value systems at excellent price points. I've owned Peavey stuff for years, and it's built like a tank, but alas my back is telling me it's time to do the same... look for the biggest bang for the pound/buck. BTW Peavey is coming out with a new line end of this month or first of September, the new Max series. Class D amplifiers and ultralight cabs.
    Good luck! :bassist:

6. GB Shuttle 6.0/.2 & Neo X 212 cab.
    Should be able to easily come in under budget. Go 2nd hand too if pos.

7. philtoler

philtoler

Dec 3, 2009
    I've been using a TB500 with an SP210 cab for years now and during that time I have never yearned for anything else. Even my OBC115 cab has sat idle for all that time. The sound is perfect for me - nice warm fat bass response even with a 5 string which I use most of the time.

8. JehuJava

JehuJava Bass Frequency Technician

Oct 15, 2002
    Oakland, CA
    Any shuttle max definitely.

My Shroeder 21015 is light as heck. My back is still surprised every time I carry them.

9. Isobaric cabs do have good low end extension, but they only have the max volume of half their drivers. i.e. Iso 210 spl = 110 spl, iso 212 spl = 212 spl.

10. philtoler

philtoler

Dec 3, 2009
    That is true and it was a bit of a concern to begin with but I can honestly say that with the 500W on tap it holds its own easily even on a big stage. However I only play jazz pop and covers.

11. Im sure it fits your volume and tonal needs, different gear will work for different people.

That said power is cheap. 500 watts or 1000 watts through a 110 or iso 210 is only going to get so loud. The iso is going to take double the power to reach the same volume as the 110, and you will be limited to around 125-150 watts per 10 inch driver.

12. Godinho_EURO6LX

Godinho_EURO6LX

Jan 22, 2012
    Bahrain
    Sounds good..but i wasnt lookin for a nice Warm Fat Low End tone....I checked out some Reviews on these amps ......And the Closest it came to a Nice Clear Hi-Fi Tone were the Shuttle 6.2 and the SWR Headlite. Now the Cab Combination for these i dont know yet...Im thinkin of the Ampeg 410He since its Available in the Neighboring Country to me, But gotta keep my options open..How are the Genz Benz NEO Cabs in Comparison to Ampeg Cabs....Wat Cabs are the Best in the Market at aroun 600-700$