1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Lightweight Cabs

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by gospel jazz, Aug 27, 2012.

1. gospel jazz

gospel jazz

Mar 9, 2011
    Endorsements: LoPhat bass cabs, Regenerate Guitar Works, Honeybadger Pickups, Darkhorse strings, Ergo Straps and Intex cables.
    Does anyone know of any affordably priced light weight speaker cabs? I'm looking at maybe a 2/10 or 4/10 cab that can handle decent to strong wattage? Please give me your opinions. Thanks in advance.

2. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Handling "strong wattage" to my mind, means a bigger cab. A good 4x10, like a GB Uber 410, will take alot of juice, but that still has it's limitations. More info needed.

3. If you’re not in a big hurry, the new Gallien-Krueger 210MBE-II and 410MBE-II/8 cabinets look very promising - both lightweight and affordable (and can handle some wattage).

http://www.gallien-krueger.com/products/cabinets/

Last word I’ve read is, GK is hoping start shipping worldwide sometime around Sept/Nov of this year.

4. popgadget

popgadget Supporting Member Commercial User

Sep 4, 2005
    Eastern, PA USA
    Authorized Greenboy Designs Builder, Scabbey Road
    It depends on your definition of affordable. However, I would suggest that you look at a cabinet's performance, voicing and weight rather than by how it is configured. A lightweight, high performance cab might be configured 12/6, 15/6 or as a three way system instead of the more conventional designs.

5. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    My fEARful 12/6 will be about 35LBS once completed and is as loud as a 310.

Can't beat that!

Well you can if you add a 12sub. :cool:

6. srayb

srayb

Oct 27, 2010
    Ontario, Canada
    Schroeder cabs - their 210PL cab is 36lbs and can handle 700W. I will be trying one out next month. They're 212PL is just a few lbs more and can handle even more wattage. A lot of good reviews on them too.

7. popgadget, brings up some good questions.

gospel jazz, is there any reason why you’re only looking at 210 and 410 cabs - and not 212 cabs or 2/3 way cabs, etc? New or Used? Also, how many watts (what amp do you have) and what is affordable or your budget? Oh, and do you have cab building skills or may be a cab kit or do you want a ready made cab?

8. Doug R

Doug R

Jan 27, 2011
    Spokane, WA USA
    I recently upgraded to a smaller, lighter and better bass amp -It's super easy to transport, very light to carry, and sounds great with both URB and my P-bass.
    - Gallien Krueger 210 N (neo) speaker box (30 lbs. $299.)
    - Genz Benz Shuttle 3.0 amp (3 lbs. 300 watts $349.00)
    I highly recommend.
    I've been gigging with this for about 6-months now. It is loud enough for pretty large places - even outdoors - and is a joy to use. Sounds very clean too, very articulate and not muddy.
    Never again a big heavy amp & speakers for me. I did a lot of comparisons and this was the best bang for the buck of the lightweight speakers & amps.