Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Lingo questions

Discussion in 'Forum Usage Help' started by Eggman, Dec 23, 2004.

1. Eggman

Eggman

Dec 3, 2004
    Denver, Colorado
    I am a bit new here - what is:

G.A.S.?

What does it mean when a reply just says "bump" or +1?

I have seen "pwned" - is that a typo or does it have meaning?

Thanks for your patience and answers.

Eggman

2. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    Gear Acquisition Syndrome

bump is when somebody sees a thread that hasn't been posted to in awhile, they think it is revelant or just worthy of further consideration, posting BUMP just puts it back in the NEW POSTS area without having to add anything of substance.

+1 just means that the poster agrees with the previous statement but has nothing to add, really.

pwned - I'd have to see it in context, print the whole sentence. It may be a typo, it may be an abbreviation for pre owned.

3. Eggman

Eggman

Dec 3, 2004
    Denver, Colorado
    Thanks Ed -

As for pwned - it is used many times. I did a search for it and got a number of threads. Sorry I didn't know how to link them to this post.

4. Kelly Coyle

Kelly Coyle Supporting Member

Nov 16, 2004
    Mankato, MN
    It means "owned," not in the sense of owning a bass, but in the sense of being completely dominated. To be pwned is to be beaten past any hope of recovery; humiliated.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pwned

5. Eggman

Eggman

Dec 3, 2004
    Denver, Colorado

Ok........

Thanks