Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Linking up amps...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by squibobblepants, Mar 16, 2006.

1. squibobblepants

squibobblepants

Mar 16, 2006
    I have two amps,
    A Peavey Basic 112 (50w, 1x12"), and an Laney (65w, 1x15") - I can't remember the model, am at work now.

The Laney has a DI socket on the back.

My question is:
    Can I take a lead from the DI out, and plug it into the input of the Peavey, without damaging the amps.

As far as I understand, the DI out socket should probably just give out the raw signal from the bass itself, in the same way as you put a DI box before the amp when playing live. Or, is it going to basically break my Peavey!?

My idea is to set up the Laney for a fat low end sound, and the Peavey can deal with with the high end...

Thoughts anyone? Advice? oh, my bass is passive - a Fender Jazz

2. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    DI output is a line-level output.

Amp input is an instrument-level input, much lower.

It would probably overload your amp input unless your DI out has its own level control that you can keep low. Odds are with that small of an amp, it doesn't have that feature.

3. squibobblepants

squibobblepants

Mar 16, 2006
    Ahh, that's a shame. Is there any way I could link em together, it'd be much fun

4. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito Secret Agent Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    Why not just split the line coming from your bass into both amps. IIRC, someone makes an instrument cable splitter.